Best artists to start into the blues?

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Don't think I've gone into any depth about blues (as in discussion).... I get confused.. or tend to merge - say Delta Blues.... with R&B.... the real down home porch stuff, the guy with a ripped down tyre strip, nailed to the barn door.... I can handle-but it's the 1940s to 1960s rhythm and blues I dig.... which then nudged into rock and roll. Elmore James, Willy Dixon, John Lee Hooker for sure... Certainly The Animals, the Stones and the 60s Brit bands turned us on and inside out.
I certainly recall going to Music Inn - a store back home that sold jazz and be-bop, he did look sideways at first when a bloke with blue hair and a bus drivers tunic.... began purchasing those R&B 180g compilations on the Marble Arch label! (he came round and started saving stuff.) if you are serious about music... my motto is listen to everything and discount nothing.... (even The Smurfs,dang, did I really say that??!!)

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Here's a life anthem for me, I clicked with this cat with an ex-juker on the checker label ("Grits Ain't No Groceries") which obviously had no middle.... So if you didn't have no trí centre.. a penny would stop it shifting!
Let's get to it-
Little Milton - Feel So Bad.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Women & Blues
Some of the most influential women in the blues include:

• Sister Rosetta Tharpe
  • Big Mama Thornton
  • Jessie Mae Hemphill
  • Ida Cox
  • Sippie Wallace
  • Bessie Smith
  • Memphis Minnie
  • Ma Rainey
  • Koko Taylor
  • Mamie Smith
  • Bonnie Raitt
  • Ruthie Foster

Women today taking center stage:

• Shemekia Copeland
  • Susan Tedeschi
  • Samantha Fish
  • Lisa Mills
  • Larkin Poe
  • Joanne Shaw Taylor
  • Ana Popović
Some of the woman blues artists are amazing. Sister Rosetta Tharpe was way ahead of her time with her guitar skills. She sings and plays with such joy that I always feel uplifted when I listen to her. Good for the soul music!
Sister Rosetta Tharpe - This Little Light of Mine

Last edited:

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
@Slipn
point ‘em out and I’ll merge ’em……lol.

no merge plans at this time. The more blues threads, the better!:grinthumb
My OP in the other thread
Origins of music always came from roots of the time from beyond.
You plug and play.. your here today.. Enjoyment that's been around longer than you and yours can account for.
8 tracks.. cassettes, Cd's, albums. Mp3.... download's .. Justify.. music is under your skin..
The blues is a major influence.. In all that you hear today..

Trying to list all the blues artist of it's "genesis" is a never ending catalog of time and effort that is never ending..
To me.. If your into blues of any kind.. It's right there to share..

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Rolling Stones here (via John & Paul) introducing kids to blues(and it's live!)
Brian Jones's efforts to promote blues generally goes unoticed and are clouded with stories of excess. But if not for him and with financial help from Alexis Korner... it may have never happened.. He dubbed himself "Elmo Lewis Hopkins"... before mick & Keith even sniffed a chess album!
He sat one night in 1962 on a staircase perfecting the harp, til' his lips bled!
(watch him here, and gloats from the Glimmer Twins) even Bill's bass is high up in the mix..
Rebranded Blues.

Delilah

Reaction score
BB King, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Miles Davis...Blues All Stars in my opinion...

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online