Berlin: Still Making Music

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
I've come to appreciate Terri Nunn & her group Berlin.

47994978-25a8-028001E0-.gif

I knew original band leader John Crawford back around '79, when he was 1st forming the group. I actually had discussions with them about my playing synths with the band...but I had something else going on, with guitarist Bob Deal, who later became famous as Mick Mars.

Being more of a Hard Rock musician, I never paid that much attention to Berlin in the early '80s. But here we are in 2006, & Terri Nunn is still gigging around LA with a whole new group, that sounds better than ever.

http://www.berlinpage.com/

I saw Terri perform @ Universal Studios last year, as well as the more intimate Canyon Club. My wife just went to see her again last month.

47994982-a13d-014F0200-.gif

Terri still looks very foxy, especially for a gal in her upper 40s, & has held onto her voice a lot better than some other artists. She has released several new recordings, & continues to perform her original hit songs as well, with excellent new players.

4Play_ad_v2.jpg

I especially enjoyed last year's VH1 Bands Reunited show about Berlin...& seeing all the original guys getting back together for 1 more show with Terri.

Does anybody else have any thoughts about Terri Nunn / Berlin & their music?

Last edited:

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Cool that some of these talented bands and singers are making comebacks.....I also enjoyed the Motel's reunion on VH1.

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
I was friends with, & also worked with, brothers Jeff & Marty Jourard from the original Capitol Records' Motels lineup...& got both of them to post & answer questions over @ the old CRF, just before the VH1 episode aired in 2004.

47951838-aa09-015801B6-.gif

My old band Video Nu-R with Mick Mars played this gig @ Gazzarris with the Motels in '79. Their share of the door was $35; me & Mick made $70. :clap:

47989620-7cc4-01420200-.gif

I saw that Motels Reunited too; the band was pretty rusty...& Martha's voice has gone down hill quite a bit from what it was. She had cancer for a while, & declared bankruptcy some years ago. All those videos on MTV didn't pay her squat...& their record revenues never got that big.

Last edited:

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Yeah, I was suprised how the Motels folded in the 80's considering that they had hits and videos on regular rotation...and more suprised about the lack of royalties for Martha and other key members.
What's the song though?...."Rock and Roll Is A Vicious Game"
That's a song closer to my neck of the woods (April Wine-Canada)
Martha is at least still trying though and her voice will probably get stronger again if she can get physically stronger...there is definitely a correlation between the 2.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Thanks for the update on this group. I loved them back in the 80s and had no idea they were still around - well, Terri Nunn anyway. :)

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
Music Wench said:
Thanks for the update on this group. I loved them back in the 80s and had no idea they were still around - well, Terri Nunn anyway. :)

The 2006 Berlin has 2 excellent multi-instrumentalists that both play synthesizers, as well as guitar...& I've seen her recently with 2 different drummers, both also very good.

dsc_4021.jpg

The new, younger Berlin players are probably stronger musicians than the original band.

47994984-b84e-028001AA-.gif

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online