Beck - Guero (2005)

Reaction score
Beck_Guero-B0007SL1LW.jpg

Released in 2005, charted at #2 in the US.. Guero, the ninth(overall) album released from Beck...

Not this guy..
blogJeffBeck.jpg

and certainly not this one either..
Glenn-Beck.jpg

This one..
beck.jpg

"E-Pro" (Dust Brothers, Beastie Boys) – 3:25
"Qué Onda Guero" (Dust Brothers) – 3:29
"Girl" (Dust Brothers) – 3:29
"Missing" (Dust Brothers, Marcos Vinicius de Moraes, Carlos Eduardo Lyra) – 4:43
"Black Tambourine" (Dust Brothers, Eugene Blacknell) – 2:46
"Earthquake Weather" (Dust Brothers, Mark Adams, Steve Washington, Daniel Webster, Mark Hicks) – 4:26
"Hell Yes" (Dust Brothers) – 3:17
"Broken Drum" – 4:29
"Scarecrow" (Dust Brothers) – 4:15
"Go It Alone" (Jack White, Dust Brothers) – 4:08
"Farewell Ride" – 4:18
"Rental Car" (Dust Brothers) – 3:05
"Emergency Exit" (Dust Brothers) – 4:02

It starts off with a pretty heavy number, E pro. It's not metal sounding or anything, so I love it.. It has tons of drive and it reminds me of a modern, heavier Devo, if they teamed up with Sugar Ray..

Both, E pro, and the next track, Girl, were released as singles.. and Girl is one of my favorites from the album.. It's probably the most accessible to most, on this album, it's much more pop oriented, but it still remains very unique.. and has tons of vocal harmonies(which most of you know by now, that I'm a HUGE sucker for vocal harmonies:D)

Other bigger songs, Black Tambourine was featured in the David Lynch film Inland Empire, and Farewell Ride was featured in FX trailers promoting the final season of The Shield..

I like Farewell Ride a lot, very catchy, but dark at the same time:D

The song, Missing, reminds me a lot of Nirvana, which is pretty cool, and the other song I love from this album is the second to last track, Rental Car..

The album ends with a very trippy, psychedelic-y song, Emergency Exit..

Overall, a brilliant album.. I have to be in the right mood to listen to it, but it's very easy to get in that mood, and it always suits that mood..

I give Guero.. a.. 10/10.. brilliant..

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: Beck - Guero

Eberg, great review and great pick for an album review period. I echo your sentiments wholeheartedly about the album fitting a mood but hooking you once it's got you as well as the harmonies. I bought Guerro on a whim because Beck is very hit and miss with me but I always buy his albums even without hearing them beforehand. I had bought my favorite Beck album "Sea Changes" beforehand which was a HUGE departure for him so I think the reason the album worked so well for me is he added the harmonies off of "Sea Changes" and mixed them with the funky style of "Odelay". This is not a singles album for me. It's one I've got to absorb as an album. It's just a funky trip all the way through and I'm glad you featured it here! :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Ah, yes. This is a really good album from Beck. I remember getting it back when it came out just because I really liked "Girl" and it's music video (which was my introduction to Beck actually). Still a great spin.

Great review Eberg. :grinthumb

Reaction score

Thanks MP, SOoty, and Cosmic:grinthumb

I agree with you, Soot, about it not being a singles album, but there are a few songs that can be listened to as singles for me, but I do not want ever want to skip the rest of the album, unlike a SOLID amount of other CD's I have..

That's cool, Cosmic... I never realized how many songs off of this album that I'd heard before I even got it.. I actually bought it because I thought Loser was on it for some reason:heheh:
I was mistaken, but not disappointed..

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Not a big fan but well done EB.

(I would rather drink one of these Beck's than play his albums generally speaking...:D)

beer_becks.jpg

Reaction score

:heheh:

Enjoy it, LG, thanks for at least checking the thread out:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn