Be Bop Deluxe

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Did you make a pit stop in one of the cafe's for an Incense break before hitting the record shop?...:D

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
You bet, I was with Sweat and we took a little to the camp site for later. There are certain cities that really stand out and that is one for me. Iv'e just had to dig the Axe Victim out and get down to some Be Bop Deluxe with all this reminiscing.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'll follow suit and put on Sunburst Finish in a bit.:hab:

angry_man

Reaction score
Hmm, just posted to the AC/DC thread where the last post was March now find the last post here was March, anyway....

Be Bop was (still is really) my fav band, primarily because of Bill Nelson's immense talent but also because of my 'first love'. Ahhh... I hear all you long hairs sigh!

My first 'proper' girlfriend worked in a record store (remember them) and gave me the promo ep Hot Valves and I was hooked. Got Modern Music and then saved my pennies and bought the back catalogue.

Modern Music is still my fav Be Bop album with Drastic Plastic a close second. I saw Be Bop on the DP tour but they didn't play any tracks from previous albums, with the exception of Forbidden Lovers from Modern Music, Bill could always be a bit of a 'tosser' in respect of his art - and I say that as a TOTAL Bill Nelson fanboy.

Although I was devastated when he split the band I must say that I loved Red Noise and saw them live and they were great. So the first love had gone like Be Bop but what replaced them was still fantastic and even though my first love will always have a special place in my heart, you have to move on, don't you?

Steve

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
That is the nature of things when you pass 50 Angry Man...you tend to forget things, like the ACDC thread and my friend Sox's BeBop Deluxe thread, and there were only a couple of us interested in them a few months ago.:grinthumb

I had no idea they split up years ago, and never heard of Red Noise until just now. I do have Modern Music now though, picked it up a few weeks ago.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Bill Nelson moved with the times.....after Be Bop Deluxe.....came the quirky new wave RED NOISE that fitted in with bands like XTC and WIRE at the time
My personal favourite Bill Nelson musical era was his solo stuff from 82 "the love that whirls" and "chimera" albums. Bill was using synths and drum machines, often with an oriental musical touch to it. Absolutely brilliant!!
It was strange that Bill never went back to his Be Bop Deluxe "rock" roots .As "ANGRY-MAN" says he went very arty
I saw a solo gig by him in the 80s.....there was no vocals just Bill by himself with a" real to real" as backing and him playing sustained guitar [e-bow].....it was good.....but....[frustrating]
There always has been a massive demand for a BE BOP DELUXE reunion,but sadly I cant see it happening :wa

Drifter

Reaction score
Excellent, unsung band. In the beginning Be Bop Deluxe was doing Bowie better than Bowie was doing himself. I like just about everything Bill Nelson has put his name on.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Here's a 70's band I just heard on a playlist that's really caught my ear. I've never heard of them and I'm surprised they aren't more well known. Every song I've looked up is completely different and transcends genres. On top of that the guitar work is exceptional on each. I like the vocalist and how he has a pop style vocal. Here are my favorite tracks:

Sister Seagull
(The first track I heard. Reminds mr of The Animals and has some real cool riffs)

Modern Music
(a poppier smoother track still with cool guitar riffs)

No Trains to Heaven
(just one big string of epic guitars blues)

Ships In The Night
(a Reggae styled jam)

I'm sure this thread writes itself. Does anyone remember this band and call themselves a fan? :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online