Be Bop Deluxe

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Yeah they are long gone, it was a big deal too, many people grew up with their Catalog's and they were our equivalent of Sears Roebuck. We only have two Canadian owned chains left, Hudson Bay and Zeller's , the last two nationwide department stores.

In fact to get us back on topic, here's the Be Bop Deluxe album I bought at Eatons decades ago.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
This is the one that got me into their sound ... "Love Is Swift Arrows" I think is a blinding track.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
That's a great cover shot too Sox...I don't have that one myself. I am pleasantly surprised how many people in our forum know about this band, they never were big over here.:D

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Yeah ... I wonder sometimes why they were not a monster over here cos they certainly had the talent.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I agree, you had to really look for their albums here, there was never a big marketing push supporting a new release, the only way I found out about them was our local University FM station, the DJ's there played all kinds of rare music...thank Gawd for that too.:grinthumb

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I saw them as a kid on The Old Grey Whistle Test with Whispering Bob Harris who is one of my heroes. In fact I was introduced to a great many bands that way. The show was part of growing up over here.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I was totally dependent on my FM stations and one massive record story at the University, called "Hub Records". They had almost all the obscure bands you couldn't find anywhere else, and the staff was top notch, they were so knowledgeable about music it was like going to a music school almost. They had everything including Classical, which is where I bought most of my classical on vinyl. Sadly they are gone now, truly a loss of part of our culture.:(

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
When these places, shops and shows disappear they leave a hole which seems to grow as you get older. As teens we would talk about the bands that had been on the show pick up a music mag/paper then go off to the record shops on the hunt, it was a weekend ritual.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You are right, the hunt was part of the fun. Also when our older brothers and sisters came home from uni/college they always had some new bands for us to check out, that was another source of expanding our libraries.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
The best record shop I have been to in years was the Concerto in Amsterdam. I was like a kid in a sweet shop the whole atmosphere was a step back just really laid back. In fact my older brother went a few years after me and he still raves about it.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online