BBC Radio 1 'In Concert' Archive, 1971-1979

EagleEye250

Reaction score
A lot of them such as some "BBC: In Concert" were often on the TV as well, as all episodes of "BBC Sight & Sound: In Concert" were on the TV at the same time as BBC Radio 1 FM Stereo as a simulcast.

These were the days long before stereo TV. Viewers were told to turn their TV sound on "mute" and tune your Hi-Fi (provided you've got a good signal of stereo FM BBC Radio 1) and listen to the radio on your Hi-Fi or a good sounding radio, or via your headphones.

The radio would be in sync perfectly with the TV picture, so you got a TV picture and stereo sound together.

These were stereo simulcasts and lasted from around 1975/85. After this, proper stereo television was slowly brought in and stereo simulcasts were no longer needed for TV music concerts and general music programmes.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Pete Drummond did many and Annie Nightingale - though I was propping up the bar at that time on a Saturday evening, I got in a few Mackesons to watch UFO, Lone Star, Tom Petty and maybe Ian Dury..

EagleEye250

Reaction score
Pete Drummond did many and Annie Nightingale - though I was propping up the bar at that time on a Saturday evening, I got in a few Mackesons to watch UFO, Lone Star, Tom Petty and maybe Ian Dury..
Yes, correct. Pete Drummond did "BBC Sight & Sound". I do have loads of episodes recorded from BBC Four to DVD of both shows, but they're in mono. I don't have the stereo track for many of them though.

The problem now is that when they re-run them both they play the mono tape that was on BBC Two & BBC Four for any stereo simulcast. Up until around 1985 the BBC found recording different to record a picture on the same tape with stereo sound.

Because of this, stereo simulcasted programmes from those times were recorded also to a separate 2-track stereo audio tape for the stereo sound for the radio with the 1-track mono track with the picture tape. There's a way to dub the stereo track over the picture, but they seem reluctant to do it.

I have a Phil Lynott box set which contains a CD of Thin Lizzy's BBC: Sight & Sound in stereo. It also contains the video of the same concert... in mono.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online