BauHaus ..The Birth Of Gothic Rock ?!

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Thanks to Cinders recommendation I was referenced to this cool thread and got to listen to all these cool tracks. I hope she don't mind but the track she introduced me too is still my favorite so I'll contribute it:

When I heard that track I thought I heard a Lou Reed influence which hasn't been mentioned amongst the influences in here. It's funny though, when I first crashed the thread in here I definitely heard the influence of The Doors who are in my top three classic rock bands so I knew I would like this band! It's cool to see that it was confirmed by others that they heard the same thing! :grinthumb So I liked all the tracks and there's a good variety in their music. They do dark and gloomy well but their is elements of pop and light hearted fare as well. I think Lou posted my fave track in the thread though with "Hollow Hills" with them at their gloomiest it seems and has that slow build like "The End' by The Doors! Great stuff guys and thanks Cinder for directing as well as Astrid for making this thread! :grinthumb

Awe cool Sootie ..your welcome I love Bau Haus..Cinder's a class act too..thanks Cinders :cheers2

awesome 80's band..i love them !

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Good to see Soot in this thread....we will make a goth of him yet..:grinthumb
Bauhaus did reform again very briefly with the "Go away white" album in 2008.Regretfully , it is said they fell out while recording it and never toured to promote it. The album itself is a struggle,lacking a bit of inspiration, A sad way to end BAUHAUS. They left a catalogue of brilliant dark songs.....

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Well I has to suffer through Twilight SAGA /ECLIPSE

My son is into the books/movie
but I got watch Peter Murphy !

cameo as the 'cold one' ..I almost missed him in this scene ..those piercing blue eyes were missing but that face...still the same !

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
I have been playing the BAUHAUS debut again lately.Superb album still sounds as crazed and manic today as it first did in 1980.Good to see a renewed interest of this classic post punk/goth band by members of CRF .:grinthumb

Terror couple kill colonel /Telegram Sam

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
I really like the debut . Got turned on to it through Lou in the rate the song above thread. Cool stuff. Will look Into more later.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
that's some cool post punk/gothic band Bauhaus...so thanks for sharing LOU/REALM

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Checking this band out.......

I hear a lot of Bowie influence/

Harry

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Bauhaus combined a number of influences including punk music, glam rock, and Krautrock—even funk and dub—to create a gloomy and introspective sound which appealed to many fans left disillusioned by the New Wave that arose in the wake of punk's collapse. Their sound proved influential, inspiring or bringing attention to a whole wave of post-punk groups delving into the intense, gloomy style that would eventually come to be known as gothic rock. Its crucial elements included Peter Murphy's deep and sonorous voice, Daniel Ash's innovative guitar playing and David J's dub-influenced bass.

Peter Murphy -Vocals

Daniel Ash -Guitar

Kevin Haskins-Drums

David J.-Bass

I really loved this bands dark gloomy image which was considered the birth of Gothic Rock.

They only made a few years /albums together before they split up in 1983 and Murphy went on to other bands and a solo career. Daniel Ash formed a more commerically successful band , 'LOVE AND ROCKETS' with the three remaining members...

They reformed twice since the 80's ..in 2005 and 2008

Some my favorites :

Bela Lugosi's Dead

Telegram Sam-Trex Cover

Ziggy Stardust -Bowie Cover

Anyone else get into these folks ?

ooh yes I am a fan of this amazing gothic awesome band...

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Interesting BAUHAUS track you posted Magic...Id never heard it before! Turns out to be a b side to one of their singles, it demonstrates their range of musical influences....in the track "Harry" for example ska and reggae
Pete Murphys doing his solo stiuff....but id love to see LOVE AND ROCKETS reform

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online