BauHaus ..The Birth Of Gothic Rock ?!

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Wow, Blonde Pete ! Cool...

Yes ,his voice is still very deep mysterious Murphy !
It's that unique sound that draws one in...nice song...

When I was reading the updates on him and Daniel they said that the toured together in the mid 2000's on a few tours here in the usa...

And I think I recall hearing about it then but I was in the middle of my bloody divorce then :(

anyway , lol..I missed it..bum !

Thanks Lou..you and Kink really know your stuff ;)

Found a clip of 2005 COACHELLA Tour :grinthumb

Last edited:

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Gawd, Love youtube !

I found another BauHaus classic..I never got to see them perform sadly, but these videos prove how brilliant they were

Love The Drums
Love The Guitars
Love Pete Murphy's dancing ...:grinthumb

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Superb track Astrid!.....:grinthumb Ive been in the goth scene for years and there isnt many better tracks in that genre.
In the earlier footage.....singer Peter Murphy hangs upside down like a bat in a belfry:wtf: ...how GOTHIC is that!!!!! lol :bow: Of course if I tried this on stage I would bang my head and cause myself bit of an injury
"shes in parties" a great song....for some warped immature reason we would sing "shes in panties"......rather like John Foxx "underpass"....singing "underpants"...instead :lmao: very silly.....

Heres Peter Murphy doing a tv advert for VIDEO TAPES in the 80s......

and a very dark early recording

Last edited:

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Wow, I don't think anyone else but Peter Murphy could pull off hanging upside down

or leaving the stage in a bodybag (as in Ziggy Stardust video) The shows look totally engaging and fun :grinthumb

Totally cool !!!

That video is really funky guitar despite the dark vocals..how did they DO that ?? ;)

Re: The Panties...I love it :lol:
everyone one in my circle of friends always made parodys of songs too

much MORE rude than that..(very naughty indeed lol)

awesome stuff...I bet your band is terrific Lou :)

Cinder

Reaction score
Well my head is spinning a little on this one. Bauhaus - The Doors - Alice Cooper, all in the same vein? No no no no no no lol, I love them all but could never look at The Doors as being influenced by our very own Bauhaus or even Gothic music.

As for Alice, yes he went through a very 'Dark and arty' period with his shows, but again I wouldnt class them as Gothic.

When I first watch The Demons Astrid, it scared the bejesus out of me as I watched it quite some years ago, it is only since I ahve recently watched it that I realised how funny it is and why it scared me in the first place I will never know.

The tracks in the film are awesome, did you pick up on Fields of The Nephilim and also Billy Idol in there? Im sure there were a few more british bands but cant recall from memory, maybe Lou could help out there?

As for Lou looking like a young Pete Murphy :D Hmmmmmmm (dreaming now), a lot of ppl have commented that he looked like a young Burt Reynolds lol.

I love the pic of him on the 'That Grave' its my favourite :D (thats lou btw and not Burt lol).

I saw Bauhaus a few years back and Pete's still got it, his voice was amazing. Im hoping to catch him again this year in a couple of months. If I manage to get I will post some pics up here :D

There are a couple of Tracks on the Mask LP that I like but overall I didnt really rate it :-( maybe because a lot of teh tracks were too gloomy.

Sorry to sound a bit negative on this post all.

This post is purely my thoughts only and doesnt mean to disrespect anyonelses point of view at all.

Last edited:

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Well my head is spinning a little on this one. Bauhaus - The Doors - Alice Cooper, all in the same vein? No no no no no no lol, I love them all but could never look at The Doors as being influenced by our very own Bauhaus or even Gothic music.

As for Alice, yes he went through a very 'Dark and arty' period with his shows, but again I wouldnt class them as Gothic.

When I first watch The Demons Astrid, it scared the bejesus out of me as I watched it quite some years ago, it is only since I ahve recently watched it that I realised how funny it is and why it scared me in the first place I will never know.

The tracks in the film are awesome, did you pick up on Fields of The Nephilim and also Billy Idol in there? Im sure there were a few more british bands but cant recall from memory, maybe Lou could help out there?

As for Lou looking like a young Pete Murphy :D Hmmmmmmm (dreaming now), a lot of ppl have commented that he looked like a young Burt Reynolds lol.

I love the pic of him on the 'That Grave' its my favourite :D (thats lou btw and not Burt lol).

I saw Bauhaus a few years back and Pete's still got it, his voice was amazing. Im hoping to catch him again this year in a couple of months. If I manage to get I will post some pics up here :D

There are a couple of Tracks on the Mask LP that I like but overall I didnt really rate it :-( maybe because a lot of teh tracks were too gloomy.

Sorry to sound a bit negative on this post all.

This post is purely my thoughts only and doesnt mean to disrespect anyonelses point of view at all.

Hey It's all good Cinder, I value your opinion :grinthumb

Well, I don't think anyone said Alice or The Doors were influenced by Bauhaus ,because those both came BEORE Bauhaus, I think it was suggested that there was elements of 'gothic' rock in both those bands that were early steps in the genre's theme. I think someone said Siouxsie And The Banshees listed The Doors as influences .

With Alice the dress,theatrics etc
With The Doors it was the sound of the keyboards and such ..that I DO hear a bit in the music of The Gothic style...but I agree with you that Bauhaus had their own VERY unique sound and look

What do you think was more of an influence of their style ?
the exposure here in the states wasn't as open in the 80's.?

Night Of The Demons scared the CRAP out of me :oyea: !! I haven't seen it in prob 15+ years...it prob would still scare me a bit as I'm a terrible whimp with horror flicks lol:heheh:

No, I don't remember the soundtrack but your making me want to look it up now WOW :grinthumb

Mask was almost the only album I could get my hands on for the longest time.
As it was I aquired it from an ADULT 'BOOKSTORE' in a dodgy area of Boston :heheh: , Back then access to British imports was scarce...

What your favorite album ? I love to listen to more if I can find them. In the age of the internet it much easier..although that bookstore WAS intersting lol!

Love to see pictures of Peter Murphy if you can get him..I LOVE that picture of him..Chilling Murphy ! Awesome !

Cinder

Reaction score
Lol, hi Astrid, my apologies if I got hold of the wrong end of the stick as they say i England lol.

Youre quite right, I had misread it, it was late at night\early hours of the morning and that doesnt surprise me if I misread the post at all.

I dont really have a favourite Album as such as I wasnt really into them at the time of their hype. We would go out at the weekend to a local Goth Club and Bauhaus would be played randomly long with other artists.

If I had to make a choice though, ironically it would have to be Mask as that is the only Bauhaus Album I own lol.

Yes Pete Murphy was quite a dish in his day wasnt he? I was slightly disappointed when I eventually got to see him as you always remember them how they looked and to see him with greying hair and also thinning hair was quite a shock also his looks have of course changed also.

His voice though is exactly the same, you could close your eyes and it just took you back.

I quite liked Siouxsie and the Banchees around that time also, again another band classed as Punk. If there is a thing as Gothic Punk then I guess some of Bauhaus tracks could be called that but I also agree with Gothic Rock as well.

I myself swing between the two genres and wouldnt like to label myself , but I guess you could call me a Gothic Rocker lol :D

I believe Pete Murphy went to live in America for some time and also has a daughter that has followed in his footsteps.

Im glad he has decided to come back to the UK though to tour and Im sure it will be a great success.

Lol at The Demons scaring you, yes I dont really like the horrors to be honest. I like thrillers and some supernatural but even they can leave me having to leave the bedside lamp on lol.

I still feel Bauhaus split way before they should have but I guess thats Rock and Roll and just because you play together doesnt mean you have to stay together does it?

Btw Lou, dont you mean it was Video tapes pete advertised? Maxell I believe :D

Just for you some more delish pics of 'our Pete' as he was and is today :D xx

Last edited:

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
No Worries , Cinder ! I am the LAST person to let into anyone for making a mistake :) Mistyping etc...Thats just bad manners ! Your Fine ! Makes you human in my mind ;)

I value your insights, since you lived in the era and have more direct knowledge then most yanks like myself, who have only had a meager dippings into British Goth . I envy you being able to see Pete ..I have seen him in recent pics/videos ..of course he's aging as we all do lol..at least he STILL has his amazing voice ! And I still think he's attractive..those EYES ...{shudder}

I watched a few interviews with Peter Murphy (like the one above I posted) And he still has the dark intelligent persona that I think luminates Bauhaus . It must have been an interesting time in Britian in the 80's. So much diverse music was flowing ! One thing I loved about the 80's!

The Demons movie : Yeah I watched it with my x-Husband who, was very into horror films. The Nightmare On Elm Street, Jason movies etc. I can watch them but really NOT my thing lol...big whimpy baby lol here < :lol:

I like thrillers/Cyco movies better ..those REALLY scare me ! The human mind is so much more twisted then random blood bath things ;)

But THE soundtracks usually are brilliant ! I would like to see if I can find that 'Night Of The Demons'

Pete Murphy was in America ? I never knew it bloody hell..I would have stalked him for sure he he he :) J/k !!!

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

Some OLDER BauHaus Lads, Still working some of their dark magic tho:cheers2

Ps Cinders Re :The Shock of seeing Murphy aged after the mindset of his more youthful days

I had the same reaction to Peter Frampton when I saw him in 2003, I had the golden hair god thing //then he walked out bald ! But he impressed with his his STILL awesome talent ..and that charming smile .. Still melts me !

Nothing more attractive then a man secure with himself...everyone ages..some do with style and grace!:cheers2

Murphy is doing it well !

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Thanks to Cinders recommendation I was referenced to this cool thread and got to listen to all these cool tracks. I hope she don't mind but the track she introduced me too is still my favorite so I'll contribute it:

When I heard that track I thought I heard a Lou Reed influence which hasn't been mentioned amongst the influences in here. It's funny though, when I first crashed the thread in here I definitely heard the influence of The Doors who are in my top three classic rock bands so I knew I would like this band! It's cool to see that it was confirmed by others that they heard the same thing! :grinthumb So I liked all the tracks and there's a good variety in their music. They do dark and gloomy well but their is elements of pop and light hearted fare as well. I think Lou posted my fave track in the thread though with "Hollow Hills" with them at their gloomiest it seems and has that slow build like "The End' by The Doors! Great stuff guys and thanks Cinder for directing as well as Astrid for making this thread! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online