BauHaus ..The Birth Of Gothic Rock ?!

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Bauhaus combined a number of influences including punk music, glam rock, and Krautrock—even funk and dub—to create a gloomy and introspective sound which appealed to many fans left disillusioned by the New Wave that arose in the wake of punk's collapse. Their sound proved influential, inspiring or bringing attention to a whole wave of post-punk groups delving into the intense, gloomy style that would eventually come to be known as gothic rock. Its crucial elements included Peter Murphy's deep and sonorous voice, Daniel Ash's innovative guitar playing and David J's dub-influenced bass.

Peter Murphy -Vocals

Daniel Ash -Guitar

Kevin Haskins-Drums

David J.-Bass

I really loved this bands dark gloomy image which was considered the birth of Gothic Rock.

They only made a few years /albums together before they split up in 1983 and Murphy went on to other bands and a solo career. Daniel Ash formed a more commerically successful band , 'LOVE AND ROCKETS' with the three remaining members...

They reformed twice since the 80's ..in 2005 and 2008

Some my favorites :

Bela Lugosi's Dead

Telegram Sam-Trex Cover

Ziggy Stardust -Bowie Cover

Anyone else get into these folks ?

Attachments

• Bauhaus_-_Bela_Lugosi-s_dead_front_sm.jpg
    Bauhaus_-_Bela_Lugosi-s_dead_front_sm.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 46
  • bauhaus2.jpg
    bauhaus2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 46
  • bauhaus-band-100642.jpg
    bauhaus-band-100642.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

Bela Lugosi's Dead :cheers2

Featured in the horror flick 'The Hunger'

Starring David Bowie

And Telegram Sam -The Trex cover

Last edited:

Kink Floyd

Reaction score
Great to see this classic band get some love. Though, apart from some of the more well known singles, I haven't seriously gave them a listen. I downloaded the entire Mask album not too long ago, but completely forgot about it. But now I guess it's time to give em a listen...

I don't know if they are the first Goth rock band, but by the accounts of many fans of genre, they seem to be the one that embodies the spirit of it the best. Though there are many like the Doors, who would be considered a precursor...

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Great to see this classic band get some love. Though, apart from some of the more well known singles, I haven't seriously gave them a listen. I downloaded the entire Mask album not too long ago, but completely forgot about it. But now I guess it's time to give em a listen...

I don't know if they are the first Goth rock band, but by the accounts of many fans of genre, they seem to be the one that embodies the spirit of it the best. Though there are many like the Doors, who would be considered a precursor...

Mask is an excellent album :cheers2

Glad someone else liked them !

Yeah The Doors kinda were pioneers, but BauHaus put gothic rock on the map !

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
There is no surprise that I like BAUHAUS Astrid ....gothic music has always been my territory, and as you and Kink have said BAUHAUS were extremely good at it!
The track "bela lugosis dead" was one of the most innovative songs of the era,still even now so highly regarded by diehard goths
I always remember the music press slating them heavily around the Ist album period....even calling them..Bowie-haus. Idiots!!!
Ofcourse after the success of the brilliant "telegram sam" and "mask" the second album ...they hipocritically changed their tune and everyone loved them!
Origins of goth? I have had many a discussion with people over the years about this and I think you are on the right lines. In my opinion...the goth genre came from punk.... Siouxsie and the Banshees [another superb band!!!!] who were very dark in their music. Siouxsies main influence and favourite band??....you guessed it ....THE DOORS
BAUHAUSs 1st album "in the flat field"was a wild barrage of distortion and noise.......it sounded like no band ever before!!! :bow: its brilliant....so DOOMY
The other albums are pretty good also......the spin off bands TONES ON TAIL....and the excellent LOVE AND ROCKETS are also worth checking out........
Dont get me started on a A-z of goth bands !!! lol:D

heres one of my faves......the very SPOOKY....hollow hills

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I am almost embarrassed to admit it, but although I know about BauHaus and have for years, and collected other Krautrock bands, I don't have any of their albums in the collection.:peek

I'll keep an eye on this thread to "Educate" myself about them a little more.

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
There is no surprise that I like BAUHAUS Astrid ....gothic music has always been my territory, and as you and Kink have said BAUHAUS were extremely good at it!
The track "bela lugosis dead" was one of the most innovative songs of the era,still even now so highly regarded by diehard goths
I always remember the music press slating them heavily around the Ist album period....even calling them..Bowie-haus. Idiots!!!
Ofcourse after the success of the brilliant "telegram sam" and "mask" the second album ...they hipocritically changed their tune and everyone loved them!
Origins of goth? I have had many a discussion with people over the years about this and I think you are on the right lines. In my opinion...the goth genre came from punk.... Siouxsie and the Banshees [another superb band!!!!] who were very dark in their music. Siouxsies main influence and favourite band??....you guessed it ....THE DOORS
BAUHAUSs 1st album "in the flat field"was a wild barrage of distortion and noise.......it sounded like no band ever before!!! :bow: its brilliant....so DOOMY
The other albums are pretty good also......the spin off bands TONES ON TAIL....and the excellent LOVE AND ROCKETS are also worth checking out........
Dont get me started on a A-z of goth bands !!! lol:D

heres one of my faves......the very SPOOKY....hollow hills

Wow , it's funny when I saw your pic in the Members Thread Lou, I thought to myself..wow very Peter Murphy -ish looking lol:D

I loved this band but I didn't even discover them until about late 80's well after they broke up and Love And Rockets was on the radio !

A dear friend introduced me to them . He was a huge Bowie fan and so was I, so this was a natural attraction..with their Ziggy cover. He was trying to 'shock' me because I was listening to hairbands at that time lol..and he thought he could scare me with these dark gloomy lads ...:wtf:

I loved it tho ! Jokes on him !

Well ,anyway..I know they did some music for a few other horror films..no wonder with their sound...I don't think I've heard this 'Hollow Hills ' in years !

I used to go into this really dodgy record shop in Boston looking for BauHaus because nobody else carried their music....Mask was the first album i ever owned and I bloody wore it out !

Telegram Sam is buzzing in my head now lol...Daniel Ash is brilliant on this song !

Yeah, I never thought about The Doors influence til Kink mentioned it in his post..but it makes total sense..they really had the elements of gothic rock with Jim's vocals and Ray keyboards..I see the connection clearly now :grinthumb

I'm going to see if Youtube has another favorite ...thanks for the info :cheers2

Last edited:

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Ah Ha...found it :grinthumb

Stigmata Martyr!

It was featured in the cult classic horror film 'Night Of The Demon'

I remenber watching it with my X and hearing this song in the scene where a demonized character dances to it..it's an excellent choice..

it's totally evil sounding lol:heheh:
My x was freaked out I owned it on tape lol!:wtf:

No I'm not a devil worshipper dear, I just like this song !:grinthumb

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Superb track Astrid! I used to play this often when i lived in bedsitland in the 80s......scared the living daylights out the neighbors.....BAUHAUS have always been big influence on me musically.
Origins of goth??....i guess you could mention the horror shock of Alice Cooper,the early doom of Black Sabbath,etc.....there were even "dark"garage tracks in the 60s eg jack the ripper etc

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online