Battle of the Top Selling Recording Artists

Who Is The Greatest?

• Total voters

Manic Monkey

Skirt Herder
Reaction score
The top 3 recording artists of all-time, in order, are The Beatles, Elvis and Michael Jackson. Between the 3 of them their album sales have totaled almost $3 billion worldwide.

Out of these musical kings, who do you feel is the best?

I was going to do the top 5 highest selling artists but that meant I would have had to include ABBA and Madonna on the list and I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Not enough Red Stripes in me at this point.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I enjoy listening to Elvis and Michael Jackson more than the Beatles. It is a toss-up really, but for this poll, I'll vote Jackson.

I wouldn't have voted for him but I thought Garth Brooks was way up there in the top-selling artists list, too.

Back in the mid or late 2000's, I remember him taking some criticism for selling his music catalog through Walmart almost exclusively for a couple of years at well below market value compared to other recordings on the market.

Brooks (or his label) dumped the price on ALL of his studio albums to $3 flat and was selling a boxed set filled with cd's and dvd's for about $10, all in a concerted and aggressive effort to move Garth up on the all-time selling artists list ahead of other acts in front of him that much quicker.

Manic Monkey

Skirt Herder
Reaction score
I wouldn't have voted for him but I thought Garth Brooks was way up there in the top-selling artists list, too.

According to the list I'm looking at Garth Brooks has sold a total of $128 million dollars in record sales. He probably ranks around 15th or so all-time.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
According to the list I'm looking at Garth Brooks has sold a total of $128 million dollars in record sales. He probably ranks around 15th or so all-time.

I see, so the list is dollars generated from album sales, as opposed to units sold. Gotcha.
Garth didn't do himself any favors then by selling a few million copies of his records for $3 each.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
The Beatles, then Elvis then MJ

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
MJ! I grew up on his stuff, and he's the one out of the three who has the most songs that I enjoy. Mom's a huge fan too! I don't care if I'm not in the majority on this. :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Members online