Bathory (Official Thread)

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
BathoryLogo1.jpg

Bathory was formed in Stockholm in 1983. Founder Quorthon, a seventeen-year-old guitarist, was joined by bassist Hanoi and drummer Vans. After various name changes (beginning with Nosferatu, then Natas, Mephisto, Elizabeth Bathory and Countess Bathory) they finally settled on Bathory. Their first recording deal came that same year, when Quorthon managed to secure the consent of Tyfon Grammofon’s boss to record two tracks for the compilation Scandinavian Metal Attack. The tracks which they recorded gained unexpected attention by fans. Soon afterward, Tyfon Grammofon contacted Quorthon and asked him to record a full-length album, by which time the original lineup had already split up.

Although Venom’s Black Metal, released in 1982, was the first record to coin the term, it was Bathory’s early albums, featuring Satanic lyrics, low-fi production and an inhuman vocal style, that defined the genre. Many fans have speculated that Venom was an influence on Bathory; however Quorthon has said in an interview with Kick Ass magazine in 1985 that he only heard of Venom after the first Bathory album was released. He also expressed dislike for many influential and popular heavy metal bands at the time, such as Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. He has also stated that the band’s early work was influenced primarily by Black Sabbath, Motörhead and Oi! punk.
Bathory.jpg

Albums to start with - Bathory and Under The Sign Of The Black Mark

Last edited:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Re: Bathory

Theres a lot more to BATHORYs music that meets the eye. Check out the nice melodic acoustic intro....before the killer heavy guitar riff comes in. One of my favourites:grinthumb

Twilight of the Gods

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score

I love the way Quorthon plays black metal on drums - like normal metal, not so fast. Brilliant song, Lou! My friend told me this album is not as good, as previous and first, but we both have different BM taste.

malarkey

zen master
Reaction score

one of the best black and pagan metal to come from sweden. bathory helped inspire the norwegian black metal scene.

and covering bathory is like a rite of passage at this point for musicia

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Blood Fire Death is a killer record. No doubt Bathory pretty well pioneered the Black Metal sound along with Mayhem. Their self titled album is also really primitive. Need more albums from this Black Metal legend.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Getting away from the usual Bathory black metal style , here the band cover KISS. I really like this ! :grinthumb They even do a version to "Deuce"

Black diamond

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online