Base Guitarist for Japan (Band) - Cancer Diagnosis

Cinder

Reaction score
With great sadness we regret to inform you that Mick has recently been diagnosed with advanced stages of cancer. Mick is currently in a positive mood and undergoing further tests and treatment. His family and friends are close with him, supporting him in practical ways, and surrounding him with their love, friendship and care.

I think I read somewhere he had brain cancer but cannot swear to that (more research needed re the news).

Some will remember him from the band Japan and Bauhaus.

Best wishes sent to him and the family and hope he gets all the support that he needs.

A little background info re the bands :-

After Japan broke up, Karn recorded a solo album before forming Dalis Car with Peter Murphy of the gothic post-punk group Bauhaus, who recorded one album in 1984. In the 1990s he worked with artist David Torn and a number of Japanese musicians, including the band NiNa. Since then he has worked as a solo artist and as a sculptor, photographer.

Karn has also played on recordings by other artists, contributing bass guitar and saxophone to Gary Numan's "Dance" album, and playing with Kate Bush and Joan Armatrading. In the 1990s he started the Medium Productions label along with Steve Jansen and Richard Barbieri, two of his fellow former Japan-members. In 2009 Mick Karn also released his "autobiography" titled "Japan and self-existence", available through his website, which deals mainly with his music related life before, during and after Japan

Last edited:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Man.. It's getting to the point where each day the news brings another sad story of another musician having physical illness problems..
Cosmic Harmony isn't going to like this news..:uh:
My best wishes to himself and his family..

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
Oh dear.

This is quite bad.

I have just recently gotten into Japan. Great 80s synth band. Very similar to what would happen if Talking Heads had a lovechild with DEVO.

Poor guy; there is always such shitty things happening to good people. :wa:

Cinder

Reaction score
Yes, I loved Japan in their Heyday, great musicians and also vocalist David Sylvian (yum yum). Not sure how this will affect the tour now.

Such a shame!

Yes its been a very sad year re the "Stars" I guess it brings it home that 'Cancer' isnt restricted just to us minions and no matter what their status, they are stil human beings and my heart goes out to them, their families and also friends not forgetting the fans also.

Love your description Ladyislingering, very good1 I quite like Talking heads and Devo :D

xx

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Staff online

Members online