Barclay James Harvest (Official Thread)

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
barclay_james_harvest_logo.gif

Official Website

Barclay James Harvest are an English progressive rock band. They were founded in Saddleworth, Yorkshire, in September 1966 by John Lees, Les Holroyd, Stuart “Woolly” Wolstenholme (1947–2010), and Mel Pritchard (1948–2004). They are best-known for their first four albums released in quick succession from 1970-1972.

Studio Albums

Barclay James Harvest (1970)
Once Again (1971)
Barclay James Harvest And Other Short Stories (1971)
Baby James Harvest (1972)
Everyone Is Everybody Else (1974)
Time Honoured Ghosts (1975)
Octoberon (1976)
Gone to Earth (1977)
XII (1978)
Eyes of the Universe (1979)
Turn of the Tide (1981)
Ring of Changes (1983)
Victims of Circumstance (1984)
Face to Face (1987)
Welcome to the Show (1990)
Caught in the Light (1993)
River of Dreams (1997)

Barclay+James+Harvest+BJH1.jpg

I got myself "Everyone Is Everybody Else" and "Gone To Earth" LPs among some others and they are mindblowing. You'll definitely like them, if you're into symphonic rock, Eloy, Strawbs and Curved Air.

Barclay-James-Harvest-Everyone-Is-Every-517152.jpg

2945026613.jpg

Now I am currently looking for Once Again, found this album in a charity shop, but it cost £8. I prefer to wait and buy it for £3. And from hearing a song "She Said" it is going to be my new favourite I think.

51ajcKhOylL._SS500_.jpg

gteowl.gif

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Well done Nolo ! LG has spoke about doing a BJH thread for a long,long while , so its good finally to see one for this fine band . I borrowed some of their albums in the 80s and always had a soft spot for them . A band you dont hear about much nowadays.......So I thought Id put up a couple of choice tracks up. Love the "phaser/flanged" guitar sound ! :grinthumb
An underated band....

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
I was going to post Crazy City, but couldn't find the studio version. Great song, my favourite from this album. :grinthumb
They are so good to this level I'd rather listen to an album instead of a single track. Rock 'n' Roll Star... I thought "must not listen until I play this album (Octoberon)." I couldn't resist. :heheh:
They were added to my list of inspirational bands recently and they're one of the very few bands, when after first listen I went like "I want to do something like this!!!"

snowblue

Reaction score
I have Baby James Harvest and Everyone Is Everybody Else on vinyl. I don't have a turntable so I haven't listened to them in years. After listening to them on this thread, I think I'll be heading for eBay to find some CDs. Thanks for the reminder, Nolo and Lou! :grinthumb

My personal favourite was Baby James Harvest. If you find it anywhere, give it a listen.

rPdIo.gif

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
^^ I am willing to fill whole BJH catalogue to my collection, so this one is on my wish list as well. :D

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Great thread nololob, I have many of their albums and have seen them a few times, great band, I was inspired by "Time honoured ghosts" :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I see young Nolo couldn't wait any longer...:heheh:

Nice OP you did BJH justice, it is a shame they get overlooked all the time. Everyone knows Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP but rarely does this fine band get the same recognition.

Hard to pick a favorite album, I would have to play them all again it's been a long time since I listened to them..

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Their albums made to couple of lists, 40 Cosmic Rock Albums for example. But you're absolutely right, they are overshadowed by giants. I shared this band with other group and they were amazed of what they've heard. I don't think they had an international success apart from Germany.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Members online