Bands you love that you wouldn't see live

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
Been meaning to post this, and Foxhound's Stones poll finally got me to action.

The question is, what bands do you love, but wouldn't pay to see live. One reason I'm sure most of us can agree on right away is the exhorbanat cost of tickets. Aside from monetary issues, what would keep you home?

I'll use the Stones as an example.

The Stones play huge live shows. I have seen the Who, Grateful Dead, and Pink Floyd, all at the former Foxboro Stadium. With the exception of Floyd, who had a great effects show that would have been hampered indoors, I felt these shows sacrificed connection with the audience to accomodate more bodies. After experiencing the intimacy of small theater shows, going back to a large stadium show seems pointless. If I want to hear loud music, and watch it on a video screen, I'll put on a live DVD, play it through my stereo, sit on my couch, and call it good.

For some reason, bands have gone from performing music, to putting on full blown stage performances. Being able to fill a large venue also seems to have caused bands to put on weight. Again, using the Stones as an example, the have additional musicians, backup singers, not to mention the inflatable toys. They used to be a 5 piece band, but now travel with more people than Ringling Brothers.

I for one, would love a back to basics show, stripped down to the band, and their music, and leave all the bullshit in storage. The Stones do a series of indoor small to mid size theater shows, I'm there.

Your thoughts?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'll have to think about this one, I saw the Stones tour in the mid 90's with all their entourage and toys, seeing they most likely won't be back up here again I enjoyed the show as a "Once in a Lifetime" event.

Maybe Jethro Tull, I have seen them 3 times, in a coliseum, our symphony hall, and our newest venue which was designed to provide the best acoustics possible. Although I love Ian Anderson, his voice is shot now, he can still do everything else but the vocals. So even if he comes back here again, I don't think I can watch, unless he was doing an acoustic instrumental set.

Not sure if that is what you meant Gearjammer, but those are my two cents worth.

I also agree about playing your CD/DVD's at home, I have a great system and I enjoy my music at home as much as being at a live show.

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
That's exacrtly what I meant. Bands that you love to listen too, but for whatcere reason, you would not now go to see them live, wether it is the quality of the stage show, musicians performance, tendecy to cancel shows, etc. etc.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Gearjammer said:
For some reason, bands have gone from performing music, to putting on full blown stage performances. Being able to fill a large venue also seems to have caused bands to put on weight. Again, using the Stones as an example, the have additional musicians, backup singers, not to mention the inflatable toys. They used to be a 5 piece band, but now travel with more people than Ringling Brothers.

I for one, would love a back to basics show, stripped down to the band, and their music, and leave all the bullshit in storage. The Stones do a series of indoor small to mid size theater shows, I'm there.

All I can say is that I agree 100%. I wish the Stones would go back to a five piece band with a keyboardist off to the side and play concert halls like they did in the sixties as opposed to stadiums and arenas. I'm afraid though that it just will not happen these days due to economic forces.

:wa:

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
Yeah. I could afford them the keyboard player, because plenty of their music had keys originally. There are so many bands I would love to see stripped down without the added horns, strings, and backup singers.

Muzoid

Reaction score
I'd love to see Bela Fleck and the Flecktones LIVE...

I just know I be in awe the entire show.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
...Mz, Gearjammer's thread is about bands you love to listen to, but would Not want to see live now. Just letting you know.;)

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Having never paid to attend a rock concert I am too spoiled to start paying to watch any of them now.

Surprizingly, the $600 tickets sold out first when the Stones played at Duke University in Durham, NC. I worked their show back in '85 during the Steel Wheels tour.

I'd love to see the Stones play all night in a small club somewhere--just having fun jamming. That's when Keith is at his best with the blues. Hendrix was the same. The larger venues bring in tons of money, but lacks the personal environment.

Muzoid

Reaction score
...Mz, Gearjammer's thread is about bands you love to listen to, but would Not want to see live now. Just letting you know.;)

Hey...I haven't even finished my first coffee...give me a break....hahahahaha

Ok...in that case there is NO band I like listening to that I wouldn't want to see live.

I'll take the opportunity to see any show I can.

Better?

:lmao:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Seein' I've been up for 6 hours I'll give you a break, I don't even bother trying to make sense of the world until my 2nd cup of java.;)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online