Bands that suck at performing live

Syd

Reaction score
Saw Bob Dylan a couple of weeks ago here in Chile. His voice sucks. The band was great, but Bob's voice kinda ruined things a bit, but I was already expecting that, of course.

MGMT was in Lollapalooza Chile this year too, everybody hated it. They were one of the biggest dissapointments in the festival.

The Drums, an indie band that came with the big recommendation of having one of the best records of 2010. They suck live, since that show in Lollapalooza 2011 I haven't listened to their album again. It didn't sound bad at all, but there was no emotion at all in what they were doing which leads me to think they aren't that passionate about music. And music IS passion. You can't just stand in a stage and not even make a facil expression or move in 1 hour of show.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
After the Van Halen concert here a few months ago, everybody was saying it was really bad, with Dave barely singing.

Have to concur with the Bob Dylan mention. His shows today are.... you're there to hold court with the legendary Dylan, not for the music. The music itself is incomprehensible. His band is decent but I've never listened to Bob Dylan to hear great instrumentations, with Dylan it's about the lyrics.

I definitely think Nirvana could have done much better with their live shows. But I wouldn't go so far as to say they sucked at performing live, they just didn't take it into transcendental territory (sans Unplugged, of course).

Khor1255

Reaction score
One of the newer versions of Skynrd I saw around 2000. They were no better than a second tier bar band and even though we were able to get in for free we were in and out of that show several times while bar hopping around the inner harbour.

I saw Fastway open for someone and they really sucked hard but I don't like them anyway so....

I can't really think of one. I think almost everything sounds much better live except when either the performer is a hack or doesn't want to be there at all.

The second time I saw Michael Hedges it was quite a let down but not at all a bad show.

As for a live show that closely copies a studio version? I think that is pretty cool. I really love it when something is done on the spot and offers a new dimension on a song you know but a band that can nail their studio version live I also like.

Fever

Reaction score
Dave was barely singing but the show was still very good-.
I have seen the newer Skynyrd about 10 times and they always put on a great show.Rickey Medlocke was a great addition at guitar and Johnny Van Zant is a very good singer.

Lavender10

Cult of Personality
Reaction score
Saw Bob Dylan a couple of weeks ago here in Chile. His voice sucks. The band was great, but Bob's voice kinda ruined things a bit, but I was already expecting that, of course.

Ya, the smoking he did for almost 50 years doesnt help. His birthday is in exactly a week btw :) happy 71st BD!

Matty35

Reaction score
Everytime ive seen Slash live he's been average at best! bum notes & out of tune vibrato throughout!

Other guitarists that suck live are Janick Gers from Iron Maiden & Doug Scarratt from Saxon.:uh:

Khor1255

Reaction score
Everytime ive seen Slash live he's been average at best! bum notes & out of tune vibrato throughout!
This is also evident on their albums. I could never understand the brief Slash craze in the early 90s. I mean, he does play with soul and that is the single most important thing to me but his excecution even on the studio stuff come across very hackneyed and lacking taste.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online