1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Babes In Toyland

Discussion in 'Punk Rock/Garage Rock/Indie Rock' started by ComfortablyNumb, Apr 3, 2010.

1. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb Unquestionable Presence

Babes In Toyland
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Years Active - 1987–1997
    Genres - Punk rock, grunge, alternative rock

Babes in Toyland was a punk rock band that formed in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1987. Between 1989 and 1995 they recorded three studio albums. Even though they are a punk band they were associated with the grunge scene. In 1987 the band included Chris Holetz on bass and singer Cindy Russell along with Bjelland on guitar and Barbero on drums. After Holetz and Russell left, the band briefly had Courtney Love on bass. Michelle Leon joined as the bassist after Love's short term.

The band achieved notoriety through Bjelland's "baby doll" image which is referred to as the kinderwhore look. That contrasted dramatically with the raw power of her singing voice and her aggressive lyrics.

While they were inspirational to many performers in the riot grrrl movement, they never did participate in it directly.

Great band that is overlooked. They are one of the best punk bands I have heard and that includes many all male bands.

Members
    Kat Bjelland – lead vocals, guitar
    Lori Barbero – drums, backing vocals
    Maureen Herman – bass

Previous Members

Cindy Russell - vocals
    Chris Holetz - bass
    Courtney Love - bass
    Michelle Leon - bass
    Jessie Farmer – bass
    Dana Cochrane – bass

Studio albums and EPs

Spanking Machine
    To Mother
    Fontanelle
    Painkillers
    Nemesisters

*Spanking Machine and Fontanelle are a must

2. LG

LG Fade To Black

I like that description Mud, "Kinderwhore"...can't say I've ever heard this band before though, as you pointed out Punk is not one of my specialties except for the early bands.

Another feather in your cap and good job on this thread.:tup:

3. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb Unquestionable Presence

Haha it is an actual style that Bjelland started and Love popularized.

Actually it is a cool look IMO.

Yea this band is one of my favorites. People laugh when I say I like an all female band until they listen to them.

Most people think of The Go-Go's or the Bengals when they think all female rock band...... well the ones I know.

Babes in Toyland kick their asses and a lot of other bands asses as well.

4. crimsonking

crimsonking Junior Member

I remember this band well. I think i had SPANKING MACHINE on cassette. Alas, my tape collection was sold many years ago.