Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Album: Funkcronomicon ~ Axiom Funk
Released: 1995
Genre: Funk, Soul, R & B, Rock
Artist: Numerous Funk legends and Artists

axiom.jpg

This album is fantastic all the way from the artwork on the album cover to the mix- up of some finger-popping bass lines, hard core break beats, turn table scratch, gnarly vocals, and stinky jammin’ rock tunes covering 90 minutes of pure funk listening pleasure. This album is a living testimonial that Funkadlia still lives. AWESOME !

This 2 CD album has an outstanding list of musical talent collaborations that include: Bootsy Collins, George Clinton, Maceo Parker, Sly Stone, Grandmixer DXT, Bill Laswell (also the album producer), Herbie Hancock, Buckethead, Eddie Hazel, Bernie Worrell, and many others (too numerous to mention all the artists). You can find the entire list of “who did what” Here.

Track List:

Disc One:

1. Order Within The Universe (written by Bernie Worrell, Bill Laswell) 3:17
2. Under The Influence (Jes Grew) (written by George Clinton, B Laswell, B Collins, Sly Dunbar, Robbie Shakespeare) 5:45
3. If 6 Was 9 (written by Jimi Hendrix) 6:00
4. Orbitron Attack (written by Grace Cook) 12:29
5. Cosmic Slop (written by G Clinton, B Worrell) 5:15
6. Free-Bass (Godzillatron Cush) (written by B Laswell, B Collins, Dennis Weeden) 5:43
7. Tell The World (written by B Collins, Maceo Parker, Sylvester Stewart) 3:53
8. Pray My Soul (written by G Cook) 5:08

Disc Two:

1. Hideous Mutant Freekz (written by G Clinton, B Collins, B Worrell, B Laswell) 7:25
2. Sax Machine (written by B Collins, M Parker, Bobby Byrd) 7:47
3. Animal Behavior (written by B Laswell, B Collins, Buckethead) 7:09
4. Trumpets And Violins, Violins (written by J Hendrix) 3:38
5. Telling Time (written by Nicky Skopelitis) 4:57
6. Jungle Free-Bass (written by B Laswell, B Collins) 5:38
7. Blackout (written by DeWayne "Blackbyrd" McKnight) 3:44
8. Sacred To The Pain (written by G Cook, Blackbyrd" McKnight, Umar Bin Hassan)4:54

This album is a collection of rare unreleased and some previously released tracks from the Axiom Music Label. You will find some music inspiration from Jimi Hendrix in the remix of If 6 was 9, and a lot of Bill Laswell’s noise influence as well as the guitar work of Eddie Hazel, and some funky vocal talents from Bootsy Collins and George Clinton.

Disc One:

“Order Within the Universe” is the into, and what an funky into; experimental noise, leading to a haunting organ by Bernie Worrell then some great scratch by DXT.
“Under the Influence” has some of the best hip hop grooves and a classic vocal line, “Funk 'em just to see the look on their face”. This song will have you boppin’ in your seat, guaranteed.
“If 6 was 9” will probably be the most whacked out cover of a Hedrix song you will ever hear , but it is also mellow and ambient, with Buckethead having the guitar influence.
“Orbitron Attack” has a grueling Eddie Hazel guitar riff, and some great beats. Extremely majestic song.
“Cosmic Slop” is just plain bizarre.
“Free Bass” is a Bootsy Collins jam. Need I say more.
“Tell the World” is a ballad, a great mood piece. Contains some new keyboard work by Sly Stone.
“Pray my Soul” is probably the best piece on this first CD, excellent team work by Eddie Hazel and Bernie Worrell.

Disc Two:

“Hideous Mutant Freekz” is a Clinton-Collins-Worrell reunion. Some of the deepest bass I have heard in a long time.
“Sax Machine” shows Maceo is in top form with T-Bone David adding some great percussion.
“Animal Behavior” possess some cool samplings and a remarkable organ solo. Add Buckethead and Brain and the end result is some nasty funk.
“Trumpets and Violins, Violins” falls flat musically. It seems out of place on the album.
“Telling Time” is another song that seems out of place and not really Funk connected. Although not wasted space on the album, it has some great organ work.
“Jungle Free-Bass” is a Bootsy Collins freak–out with a frantic pace that is almost hardcore.
“Blackout” is a one man show by Blackbyrd McKnight with the main focus on guitar soloing.
“Sacred to the Pain” is basically “Pray my Soul” with a juxtaposed poetry reading by Umar Bin Hassan over it.

Overall, this album is loaded with all kinds of goodies to excite any Funkster. If you are a funk fan and would like to hear some rare and previously unreleased tracks, then this album is a must have.

My rating for listening pleasure 4/5

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Axiom Funk ~ Funkcronomicon

...lol...I still haven't listened to this album yet. I suppose I will have to get around to it one of these days, probably with a cold pop or two under my belt.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Your Funk account seems empty Hepcat...:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

By George I think you've got it...:grinthumb

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

The BEST If 6 was 9 cover I have heard to date.......this band and album REALLY knows how to make adrenalin flow strong in my freaky psyched out veins....I'm stiil looking for this album around:):):)

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
This album is probably the diamond in the rough for me.. Thanks Magic for highlighting this one..
The line up in this is all big hitters.. George Clinton, Bootsy Collins,
Cheating with just throwing a overview.
Producer Bill Laswell's Axiom project Axiom Funk was launched under the auspices of a "supergroup," and was certainly one of the most far-reaching and vibrant collections of funk to emerge -- astonishingly long after the genre's heyday. P-Funk keyboardist Bernie Worrell was initially the flashpoint for the project's Laswell/Parliament/Herbie Hancock core, his associations fortuitously coalescing just as Laswell was striving to expand his Axiom empire. Bringing together key players from all decades, he then twisted the mix with clever combinations of newly recorded material and sessions recorded long ago but never released. The Sly Stone tracks were recorded during Maceo Parker's All the Kings Men period, while the Eddie Hazel tracks were among the last he ever recorded, shortly before his death in late 1992. In all its guises, however, Funkcronomicon is a masterpiece. From the old-school jams of George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Worrell, and Hazel to Hancock's jazzed-out funk and the righteously fresh sounds of reggae rhythm section Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare, this fat double disc really packs a punch. Add the alternative rock stylings of Anton Fier, best known for his work with the Feelies and the Golden Palominos, and the resulting brew is almost unbelievable. Tracks previously released -- "Cosmic Slop," "Pray My Soul," "Sacred to the Pain," "Sax Machine," "Telling Time," and "Tell the World" -- are cunningly interspersed with new and unreleased material. And, in the end, although old and new schools rub smooth shoulders, it's hard to tell where one ends and another begins.

You Tube has allowed the controversial version of Hendrix's IF 6 Was 9, which featured Buckethead, and to my knowledge yet to be discovered, a violinist from china which adds the texture to this cover..

This video was pulled off You Tube for a long time. My guess was the message it represented in the video.

The opening has that straight up Funkness that George Clinton adds to anything he touches..

For those who enjoy the funk.. It's a must have..:grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online