Author's you Enjoy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Abyss' started by doswizard, Apr 15, 2018.

1. doswizard

doswizard "That Which does Not Kill Us makes Us Stronger!"

Ya know, I went ahead and looked up the uses for an apostrophe on the web and there are so many damn stupid rules that even an intelligent person gets confused. Maybe old dude is right. Maybe I should have stated Authors rather than Author's or Authors'. I don't see how that's relevant to whether or not he take me seriously. It's his choice to post or not to post in any thread. Nothing personal, I enjoy the criticism to a point; and I emphasize to a point. :)

2. Old Dude

Old Dude I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.

"What difference does an apostrophe make?" The apostrophe turns one word into a totally different word, with a different meaning! That's the difference it makes. Does "cant" mean the same as "can't"?

Let me make it easy. An apostrophe before an S changes a plural into a possessive. "Authors" is the plural of "Author". "Author's" means it belongs to the author. "Authors'", with the apostrophe after the S, means it's both plural and possessive. They taught us that in grade school. You mention Alan Watts. I met Alan Watts. His son was a good friend of mine when I was in high school. Alan Watts himself told me that words have meanings, so you have to use the correct one if you want to be understood.

I assumed that since it was grade school grammar, you were deliberately using the apostrophe as a prank or joke. I have a difficult time grasping the concept that people type things other than what they mean except as a prank or joke, or they're trying to be ironic. I was not criticizing. I thought I won the (mythical) prize for catching your deliberate prank. I thought you posted a practical joke to see who would be the first one to get it.

And for the record, I do not own the rules of Grammar. I did not write them. I learned them in grade school. Using correct English is not "pedantic". It's just respecting the people who you want to read your words. If a writer, even someone posting on the internet, respects the people he's writing for, he'll display that respect by trying his best to use correct English. Deliberately using substandard grammar is a sign of total disrespect for the people you want to have read your words, unless you're deliberately using a colloquialism or other sort of error to make a point.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    doswizard likes this.
  3. doswizard

I know an apostrophe can change the meaning of a words' pluralism or denote ownership; I'm just not any more hung up on grammar than anyone else in this world. As I said, there are so many damn stupid rules that even an intelligent person can get confused; and I'm only speaking English. I appreciate the criticism, but it can go too far. Perhaps I want to learn, perhaps not. :)

At any rate, for some reason I've been sticking with the fictional authors such as...........

Edgar Allan Poe

200px-Edgar_Allan_Poe_daguerreotype_crop.png

in order to retain some semblance of sanity as a writer. I'm a good story teller and poet or what have you, but this is simply not where my thoughts have been residing, so I stick with the fiction in order to better relate to the other viewers of this thread. The last thing I want to do is to bore the crap out of everyone and make them miserable.

4. doswizard

Look......

This is simply an email I posted. Do whatever with it. I pretty much enjoy sticking to the subject; but if you want to, post boobs here instead. I'm not insulted.

edgar-allan-poe-scaring-people-long-before-horror-movies-were-6503623.png

5. Old Dude

Old Dude I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.

I believe you'll find that clear, correct English doesn't bore anyone. There is no misery in reading correct English. As for who cares about whether or not the grammar is correct, there is one small group of people who care very much. They are professional and want-to-be professional writers. Music listeners like music better when it's in tune, but they don't pay that much attention. But musicians are very careful about being tuned correctly. Correct tuning is to musicians what good grammar is to writers. You've made it clear that you have an ambition to be a writer. Had you not revealed that ambition I would not attempt to persuade you that grammar is important.

Am I mistaken about your ambition to one day be a writer?

doswizard likes this.
  6. doswizard

Yes, grammar is as important to writing as equations are to an atomic physicist, but I simply don't pay attention to all of the rules. Thanks for the heads up and no, you are not mistaken. :rolleyes:

7. doswizard

Robert M. Pirsig

zencover1.jpg

8. Abraxas

Abraxas :)

Jack Kerouac

Sharp Dressed Man and doswizard like this.
  9. doswizard

J.R.R. Tolkien

jrr.jpg

10. doswizard

Eldritch Lore.......

Michael Moorcock made Fantasy a Reality.

complete-daw-elric-saga-michael_1_9f7977e709df984071ccd2645560d406.jpg