Attack of the Underground Sound of the 1950s

Max Mooney

Reaction score
It brings me great displeasure...being a kid raised at car shows and on oldies radio formats that highlighted the mid 50's to the mid 60's that the 1950's is falling out of favor with Rock & Roll enthusiasts. And that is why, Max Mooney, is here to right that wrong. So grab a Phosphate Soda, Ice Cream Soda or whatever it is that you dig and bop around with me. :woot:
Note: I may throw in some early 60's in this thread as well because I believe that the early part of a lot of subsequent decades is an extention of the last decade. I believe a lot of people feel that way.

Chills by Joe South (1958)
A slammer with irresistable guitar licks from Joe South who became more famous in the 1960's. Some KICK ASS Rockabilly right here that is NOT to be missed.

Get Off Of My Back by Jay Blue (1959)
ULTRA RARE Rockabilly that scortches in a short amount of time. Less than 2 minutes of FURY. High quality stuff. Don't listen to it when your wife is around haha.

Flossie Mae by the Saucers (1959)
Ultra off-kilter and demented Doo Wop with KILLER bass vocals. I'm all about this. This group bounced around between this and another moniker...that being the Velvetones.

The Rock is Here To Stay by Sandy Shaw & The Midtowners (1957)
Mega crazy,white and Pop-ish 50's Rock & Roll but definitely still a killer. Pretty damn off the wall and a big old middle finger to ''civilized'' adult detractors to the genre of the time.

Train To Nowhere by the Champs (1958)
The original A side to the massive hit called Tequilla. I wouldn't say I necesarilly like this one more due to quality, but because it's not as often heard. We all know kids play Tequilla pretty early in their music days in public school along with Green Onions by Booker T & The MGs so in that way the B side gets around a lot. This is a quality / sleazy instrumental though. It's a lot less of a novelty despite still being one...but you can see why they thought it wise to make this the top spin...even though it was not to be the hit side.

Bip Bop Bip by Pretty Boy (1957)
A great slammin', uptempo and Little Richard style R&B number. Guaranteed to make ya move. Made to make you shake, quiver and roll. Stomp, shout and do the stroll. This is an all timer for the Moon Man.

And that's all for now but there's more to come. Thanks for all the support on these threads! Take care of yourself, huh!?​

Last edited:

Black Dahlia

A Seasoned Witch
Reaction score
Gee, sounds like a swell idea to me! :)

My love for early rock-and-roll is why I got my first turntable setup a few years ago,
intending to collect 78's and 45's of early rock-and-roll, rhythm-and-blues, doo-wop, etc.

Max Mooney

Reaction score
Gee, sounds like a swell idea to me! :)

My love for early rock-and-roll is why I got my first turntable setup a few years ago,
intending to collect 78's and 45's of early rock-and-roll, rhythm-and-blues, doo-wop, etc.

That's awesome to hear!!! As it turns out...we have that in common. My love for music is deeply rooted in the Mid Century era of Rock & Roll! Thanks so much for checking this out. I think you'd also enjoy my thread in the 60's section. I too, collect records. How old are ya?

Edit: Never mind! I just saw that you're 47. That's pretty young to dig this kinda stuff though. Which is awesome! I'd love if more people gravitated towards this sound. It's my favorite.

Black Dahlia

A Seasoned Witch
Reaction score
Here's a pretty good one I found while searching for Ray Smith's big hit "Rockin' Little Angel".
Turns out I like this one better!

"Right Behind You Baby" Ray Smith (1958)

Last edited:

Frands

Reaction score
Whoa, great music here from before I started listening to music. For some reason I just love that style of music. Keep it coming!:)

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
First heard this at a Sunday Record Fair..if desired you paid a quid more and went in at 9:am instead of 10...screaming out of some geezers Dansette, was this.
Just had to buy it.
Malcolm Yelvington - Drinking Wine Spodee O Dee.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
When i left College and became waged- every Saturday i'd visit 'Sounds Good' a shop that was jammed with Sun 45's..i do recall hearing Hauling Coal by Johnny Cash..maybe on a 78.
Warren Smith - I Got Love If You Want It.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online