Artist You Consider That Are Lyrically Brilliant!!

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I'm asking this question to all of you to see who comes up.
This can include any type of genre of music to date..

So... Out of all the groups who you have heard through your entire life,
Who has influence you lyrically?? Who... and what artist/group has the most effective lyrics you consider so close to truthful and precise at telling it like it is...
Music writers sell songs to artist.. But let's side step that and mention the final product called. "The Song"..

You can include lyrics so that others can see why you chose a song..

einstein_thinking.jpg

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not a fan of ever putting a label on lyrics as "brilliant", especially using a paintbrush to generically swipe their entire career as such. A song here or there, maybe, but an entire career? Never.

More often than not, I find the music, the rhythm, the melody to be far more "moving" than the vast majority of the lyrics. Even a vocalist's phrasing and style can be more moving than the actual words that he or she is singing.

But that's just my opinion.

oscar gamble

Do The 45
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not a fan of ever putting a label on lyrics as "brilliant", especially using a paintbrush to generically swipe their entire career as such. A song here or there, maybe, but an entire career? Never.

More often than not, I find the music, the rhythm, the melody to be far more "moving" than the vast majority of the lyrics. Even a vocalist's phrasing and style can be more moving than the actual words that he or she is singing.

That's pretty much how I see it too.

CREAM'd

Reaction score

I listen to all these musicians/singer songwriters, firstly because of their lyrics and the way they deliver their songs.

I listen to this album a lot, not because of the lyrics but for the rhythm and melody

I couldn't give a rats ass what the lyrics are.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

I call Bullshit on this Lynch.. How shallow can you be that you stand by this?? Really doult you just bypass the lyrics and hmm along to the melody.. 90% of a song is how it effects you.. Saying you just listen to the tempo is like saying I used to enjoy music till I started ignoring what they were saying and that's fine with me.. :wtf: What shit are you listening too late at night in those ear buds???

That's pretty much how I see it too.

Go over there and stand with Lynch till your mind clears..

oscar gamble

Do The 45
Reaction score
Really doult you just bypass the lyrics and hmm along to the melody..

Singing and lyrics are two different things. You can like a singer's voice without regard to the lyrics of a song. A singer can create emotion, even if the lyrics aren't particularly profound. You can enjoy singing along to a song and not be particularly impressed with the lyrics. If lyrics were that important, someone could merely read the words and you wouldn't even need a singer, band or anything else. You could just go to a poetry reading.

90% of a song is how it effects you..

The beat, tempo, etc. definitely can affect you. A good guitar break can affect you. The singer's voice can affect you, even if he's singing jibberish. "Surfin' Bird"!

Death on Credit

Reaction score
Lyrics are, and always have been, the absolute most important part of a song to me. I love words...that's all there is to it.

Some that I find particularly brilliant -

Bob Dylan - Ain't Talkin'

Leonard Cohen - One of Us Cannot Be Wrong

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

Neil Young - Tell Me Why

Townes Van Zandt - Rake

Joan Baez - Diamonds and Rust

I could go on and on...But I don't want to post too many Youtube videos...So here are some more:
Phil Ochs - The Crucifixion
Jackson Browne - Late for the Sky
Tom Waits - Hoist That Rag
Warren Zevon - Don't Let Us Get Sick
Paul Simon - Sound of Silence
John Prine - Sam Stone
Joni Mitchell - All I Want

Tek_54

Spanish Rocker Girl
Reaction score
I like Dylan's, Kansas's, Springsteen lyrics so much more than theys music or voices.

I preffer when other artist uses theys songs

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.