Any SFU420 fans here ?

Hard Rock

Rock out !
Reaction score
Although i am re-discovering classic hard rock, sometime around 2004 i found, and got way into, Six Feet Under. It seems ( like my other favorite classic rock Band the Scorps ) that they are another good band that doesn't get very much due credit.

I was briefly into Cannibal Corpse in 95....there was some controversy surrounding the band at the time so i bought the cd " the Bleeding". Wasn't to bad. Lyrics way sickening and i still don't agree with what they (CC ) put in songs but it was pushing the envelope of heavy. Got out of it quick though, they were just a bit over the top and cheesy.

But it seems when Chris Barnes formed Six Feet Under, he had turned death metal into a viable art. Slower riffs, slower- amazingly low end monster vocals, solid drumming and bass playing. They are a band band. same lineup since 98 i think.

Chris Barnes ( VOX ) is a trippy hippie death god. Has some interesting world views and his lyrics are a little more " artistically" done, if you can call Death Metal " artistic ". :bonk:

Im not into the math metal bands or the nu- screemo stuff but i still like a good SFU tune every once in a while.

Your thoughts ?

Hard Rock

Rock out !
Reaction score
Well....Barnes is known to be a big, uh, "smoker" and the Band always gets mixed up with the TV show Six Feet Under so when you look them up you have to use SFU420. Thats my story and im stickin 2 it :grinthumb

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I'm sure LG will be along soon to let you how much he hates this type of thing :heheh:

but I really like the early stuff.The first three and 13 are pretty awesome.
A huge portion of the Death Metal crowd hate them for being successful and not death metal enough, but whatever....

Sort of a Sabbathy Death 'n' Roll thing going on. I saw them live at the Whiskey
in Hollywood when they opened for Manowar. Great show.

A few favorites

Revenge of the Zombie

Lycanthropy

Victim of the Paranoid

Feasting on the Blood of the Insane

Last edited:

Hard Rock

Rock out !
Reaction score
Yeah, commandment is my favorite. Very slickly produced ( great sound ) probably harder to pull the songs off live, but for a studio cd ? Tops. Just brutal as in heavy ! Edge of the Hatchet, Thou shall kill, Resurrection of the Rotten, as the blade turns...an epic cd ! Probably the last with Barns voice still intact...and ill probably never get to see em live because they never hit the US :mad! Also Steve Swanson is a riff meister. Not the best lead player but at least they are memorable. But the riffs are HUGE ! Victim of the paranoid !!!

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I have noticed that he hasn't been able to hit the high screeches for quite a while now .The contrast of his low growl like vocals and his insanely high screeches was one of the things I loved about Six Feet Under. Swanson's riff are great ! They have a really catchy Sabbathy thing about them. Like you say not the most technical lead player in the world but awesome none the less.
I also love Terry Butlers bass playing.

My favorite is Maximum Violence
SixFeetUnd.jpg

Bad ass horror movie metal :heheh:

Harkat

Reaction score
A huge portion of the Death Metal crowd hate them for being successful and not death metal enough, but whatever....

I don't hate them for being successful, just they fit into the almost exact stereotype that people think of and hate when you mention 'Death Metal' to them. When you try to introduce someone to Death Metal, their automatic reaction to it is along the lines of: Death Metal = talentless growling and high screeching about death, murder, rape, satanic beliefs, a band with that beats the hell out of every single note they possess as fast they can.
These assumptions are not true of course.

Hard Rock

Rock out !
Reaction score
I agree about the lyrics, but Chris Barnes writes them a little different in SFU then he did in CC. CC is just ridiculous now days. Alex W is a smart decent cat, Paul m is a real Decent guy but what they wright is just...yeah, nahhh. Barnes takes it from a different viewpoint. Talking about what real killers have done and kind of the psyche of a killers mind ( as the blade turns) and some socio/political stuff : This graveyard earth, non existence ect...Not saying that they don't wright sick stuff but its done differently...and with better CD covers. Some of the early CC covers Vince Locke did were good but at some point you have to drop the cartoonish stuff.

And CC is so fast you cant make out the riffs.

DM isn't my main thing either but i gotta have my SFU.

And yes maximum violence is Great ! No warning shot ! Hell yeah ! Production not so hot but its their second best to commandment IMO.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I can make out CC's riffs. They are not too fast for me to understand

Personally, I could careless what people who don't like death metal think of it.
It's about as important to me as when the next Brady Bunch / Partridge Family album will drop :heheh:

I like Cannibal Corpse as well as SFU and couldn't care what people think about that either.
They are an extreme form of musical complexity coupled with an extreme form of lyrical content. If you take the lyrical message as literal and then decide it's cool to kill then you are a moron who was born to be a serial killer anyway and since I don't imagine that the vocalist will really pull someones interior biological matter out through their nose with a stick later tonight it doesn't bother me any more then watching a Saw movie.

People who are bothered by Saw movies should not watch them .People who are offended by Cannibal Corpse shouldn't listen to them .It's as simple as that in my perspective . I will go on listening to them regardless of what others think about them or even if they think it should be banned.

I am likely to chuckle a bit when people get worked up about this sort of thing but other then that it changes nothing for the fans or the bands themselves.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online