Anvil ~ Metal on Metal (1982)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
41PKYCBNVVL._SS500_.jpg

Well here I was listening to 1982's Metal on Metal which is Anvil's second release, when the thought occurred to me... this would make a great review for me. For those who have not yet heard or experienced Anvil – they were quite the overlooked Canadian band in the metal community. This was pre-Metallica. Pre-Slayer. Pre- well... let's just say it's heavy. From the first cut, Metal on Metal with the great line: ‘Metal On Metal it's the only way, To HELL with tomorrow, let's live for today!’

This pretty much sums up the band's philosophy and the mood for the rest of the disc. This is an all time great metal anthem which could be compared to the great ‘Balls to the Wall’! Then on to ‘Mothra’ , a track based on a monster from Godzilla movie fame, who terrorizes the Japanese as they sing, 'What can we do"? The mid-section which has a Sabbathy Planet Caravan type effect on Lips' voice. Lips being the lead singer, lead guitarist and key composer! ‘Mothra’ is fast, atmospheric and epic!!

The next tune ‘Stop Me’ is fronted by then rhythm guitarist Dave Allison who has quite the KISS/Ace Frehley influence here. You would have to be your own judge, but I know what my ears hear. Next is MARCH OF THE CRABS!! This instrumental is worth the price of the CD alone and is a MUST HEAR/MUST HAVE Metal instrumental for all collectors. This has Iron Maiden all over it and as I stated above is pre-Metallica 'Kill 'em All'. You will not regret hearing this track. This tune is one of the many blueprints in metal for sure.

Drummer Robb Reiner really stands out in the next track entitled Jackhammer! The name says it all. The next three ‘Heat Sink’, ‘Tag Team’ and ‘Scenery’ are all steady rockers. ‘Heat Sink’ being a strong opening for the second half and ‘Scenery’ being another KISS flavoured (IMO) FM Radio Staple. Or at least it should have been. ‘Tease Me Please Me’ would be LIPS showing his love for sex driven tunes. He would out rank tunes like this with Butter Bust Jerky, and Backwaxed later down the road.

The closer 666! What can I say? Anvil would not take the Venom or King Diamond road, and stick to their own plan, but this tune is Evil! The double bass drumming is exceptional and LIPS' (Steve "Lips" Kudlow) vocals and wailing out 666 still sends a shiver or two. Not as shocking by today's standards but at the time of its release (1982) it was something to give Mom and Dad a bit of a heart attack over. I should also put out props to Ian Dickson, the bands original bass player at the time.

So I say buy it if you haven't! It's great. For those that have it on vinyl I say get it on CD! It's still a real winner and one that will... as Anvil says... KEEP ON POUNDIN'!

Track Listing:

01. Metal On Metal
02. Mothra
03. Stop Me
04. March Of The Crabs
05. Jackhammer
06. Heat Sink
07. Tag Team
08. Scenery
09. Tease Me, Please Me
10. 666

Anvil++band+02.jpg

Written by: METALPRIEST

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Anvil ~ Metal on Metal

Nice job, MP.

666 is smokin' :grinthumb

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

EXCELLENT album cover! if ever a cover describes its contents this is it!!! The title track "metal on metal "is HEAVY METAL at its best!! Even gives PRIEST a run for the money....:) [ got to dig out those ANVIL albums....turn up the volume...upset the neighbours lol :heheh: ]

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Well done MP.:clap:

I just saw a television show about them a few weeks ago,,,about how of all their contemporaries they somehow missed the big time. Never getting the break that would have made them legends in the same way as Metallica, Slayer etc. Regardless they are a testament to perseverance and are still touring now.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online

No members online now.