Alternative 4 (1998)
Judgement (1999)
A Fine Day To Exit (2001)
A Natural Disaster (2003)
We're Here Because We're Here (2010)
Weather Systems (2012)
Distant Memories (2014)
Optimist (2017)

Discuss Anathema. What a great band. They started out as a heavy death doom metal band and have involved to an incredibly beautiful progressive rock band. Criminally underrated band

Last edited by a moderator:

Pappy

Reaction score
Here is a good example of the Doom era roots

And a little taste from the last record.

It's safe to say they have changed their sound. For the better if you ask me.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
What a class band ANATHEMA are Pappy ! :cheers2 Musically, as you say they have changed over the years. My preference is when they touched on the more gothic metal side as in my favourite track "Fragile dreams" [ you beat me in loading up this song ].
A band that isn't afraid to draw influences from elsewhere [ eg prog Pink Floyd or even Indie rock ]
Good to see ANATHEMA have a thread at last ! I know there are other fans on the forum eg B.o.b and Magic

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Dahlia

A Seasoned Witch
Reaction score
I've just recently discovered them for myself a few weeks ago.

I just got the DVD "Universal". What an amazing performance!

The thing I notice is that even on the early albums, the same vibe runs beneath the music. Even though their style has evolved, the theme, mood, aura... whatever; it's still there. Though, I suppose one wouldn't notice this unless you know the definition of anathema, and expect it to mean something to the group.

Kind of a sorrow, spitefull, forlorn mood; but seeded with hope on the more recent albums.

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anathema new record - Distant Satellites

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got the rest of the bands discography on order. I particularly love bands who's new album or last few albums were not like when they started. Metal needs more bands with that sort of willingness to evolve their sound and not do the Slayer and not only stagnate but get worse.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Metal needs more bands with that sort of willingness to evolve their sound and not do the Slayer and not only stagnate but get worse.

I agree with your general opinion, but imo the last Slayer album, "World Painted Blood", was one of their best in years! That being said, that album should have been their last album, as the band is dead to me without Jeff Hanneman.

As for Anathema, I've been a fan of them since their doom days and I've continuously bought their releases (studio albums, live albums, DVDs, etc). I've also seen them live countless times and they ALWAYS deliver! I'll be picking up their new album ASAP.

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Judgement is a great album. Listening to it for the first time this has modern Katatonia feel to the melodies.

Pappy

Reaction score
I'm loving the new album. For some reason the first listen through did nothing for me. Which surprised me cause I love all their stuff. Then a few days would pass and I'd have these melodies stuck in my head that I couldn't place. Gave the album another listen and there all those melodies were.

a nice acoustic version of Distant Satellites

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online