Amy Winehouse (Official Thread)

Nora

Reaction score
74ff351a-6239-449d-99b3-71ef8d026ead_zps75b0cc9a.jpg

Biography

Amy Winehouse was an English singer and songwriter known for her deep contralto vocals and her eclectic mix of musical genres including R&B, soul, blues and jazz.

Winehouse's 2003 debut album, Frank, was critically successful in the UK and was nominated for the Mercury Prize. Her 2006 follow-up album, Back to Black, led to six Grammy Award nominations and five wins, tying the then record for the most wins by a female artist in a single night, and made Winehouse the first British female to win five Grammys, including three of the "Big Four": Best New Artist, Record of the Year and Song of the Year.

In 2007 she won a Brit Award for Best British Female Artist; she had also been nominated for Best British Album. She won the Ivor Novello Award three times: once in 2004 for Best Contemporary Song (musically and lyrically) for "Stronger Than Me", once in 2007 for Best Contemporary Song for "Rehab", and once in 2008 for Best Song Musically and Lyrically for "Love Is a Losing Game".

Awards and nominations

Among the awards and recognitions for Frank, Winehouse earned an Ivor Novello Award for Best Contemporary Song ("Stronger Than Me"), a BRIT Award nomination for Best Female Solo Artist, and an inclusion in Robert Dimery's 2006 book, 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die. Back to Black produced numerous nominations, including two BRIT Awards (Best Female Solo Artist and Best British Album), six Grammy Awards (including five wins), four Ivor Novello Awards, four MTV Europe Music Awards, three MTV Video Music Awards, three World Music Awards, and was nominated for the Mercury Prize (Album of the Year) and a MOBO Awards (Best UK Female). During her career, Winehouse received 23 awards from 60 nominations. In February 2012, Winehouse was listed at number 12 on VH1's 100 Greatest Women In Music.

Discography

Songs

Last edited:

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Like so many other greatly inspired artists of the past(Kurt Cobain,Janis Joplin,Jim Morrison)Winehouse seemingly maintained many inner personal demons that even her magnificent talents,riches and fame unfortunately couldn't conquer.What hauntingly effective approach and passion....

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
I really do love this song!:)

Last edited:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
"Back to Black" has always been my favorite song from her. It's more angry than sad like a lot of her stuff.

paradigm203

Reaction score
You can tell it's Amy as soon as she started singing, definitely one of the best!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online