Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising (2011)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Album: Surtur Rising
Band: Amon Amarth
Reviewer: Prime & Cunishment

Amon%2BAmarth%2B-%2B2011%2B-%2BSurtur%2BRising.jpg

Amon Amarth, with the releases of With Oden On Our Side and Twilight Of The Thunder God being fantastic releases, they have done it again with yet another jam packed album full of power and energy.

This album starts off with War of the Gods which was released before the album release itself to give the listeners a feel for what the album will offer, thankfully it had set up the right atmosphere for when the album was released. Each song has its own specific amount of "power" to make you wonder if the next song after will be able to beat it. Not beat it in a way where the song before was not as good, but beat it in a way to keep you listening until the end of the album. This album does just that. It makes you want more and more. Personally, I have gotten through this album 5 or 6 times since the release, I can't help it, I always tell myself "im only going to listen to this one song", but with this album, and this band in general, it's almost impossible to do so.

When War of the Gods was released to the public for listening, I thought that would be my favorite song off the album, but that's not the case after these last few days, my favorite song as of late would have to be "Wrath of the Norsemen". It starts off quiet, and leads into something "headbang worthy" and powerful. The vocals are absolutely perfect and the right amount of dark to really grasp how badass this band can get. The guitarist is also a spark of genius:

Live version:

Studio version:
[GROOVESHARK]25035183[/GROOVESHARK]

My only advice: Go pick up this album.

1star.png
1star.png
1star.png
1star.png
1star.png

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
re: Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising

Great timing for this review...I have it on now and it's safe to say it's their BEST album yet! Nice review man!! :cheers2

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

I agree completely. There was not one song that was boring or out of place, they really took their time on this release, and i'm glad they did. :grinthumb

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Though in comparison to Twilight of the Thunder God, Embrace of the Endless Ocean is still my all time favorite Amon Amarth song. Some off this album bump down some of my older favorites though, so it levels out :)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Yeah I hear that....always exciting hearing something new on the first day...that usually is the highest point for me and then I can start leveling out with the rest of a bands work after the excitement dies down.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Yeah, not to say this album isn't great. I am in agreement with you that I think this is their best work so far. Plus, there's not a lot on the Twilight album that I like anyway :heheh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online