Altamont - 40 years on!

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Yeah, Altamont could've been something great, had they not involved the Hell's Angels....

I'm not sure I agree.

1. First of all, right now Altamont is remembered precisely because of the presence of the Angels - as well as the Rolling Stones. Altamont might not still have the notoriety were it not for the presence of the Angels.

2. The reason I say might though is what if Meredith Hunter had started shooting - which is what may have happened had it not been for the presence of the Angels? What if he had shot and killed other concert goers? What if he had shot one of the Rolling Stones? Without the presence of the Angels, Altamont could now potentially be even more notorious for other reasons.

:drums:

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
Let's remember (or NOT forget!!!) that bands like Canned Heat and Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead were very close to the 'philosophy' of the Angels and nothing really SERIOUS ever happened at their various gigs :)

starman

Let The Children Lose It
Reaction score
Now here's a point that I've never seen made by any commentator. Given that a crazed individual brought a gun to the concert and then pulled it a mere twenty feet from the stage, don't you think that it was a good thing that there were some no nonsense enforcers in the form of the Hell's Angels to provide security? Had your typical security guards been hired to provide event security, might they not have just stood back and watched in horror as this fellow just started shooting at everybody? How many people would have been killed then?

I agree fully. In a perfect world they would have just beat the guy silly and not stabbed the guy to death, but they did effectively stop the crazed idiot and that's what counts.

Honestly, we can thank Hollywood for the fuel that drives one's attraction to the outlaw mentality and aesthetic. It's been that way as far back as one cares to go with respect to the last century. They built that machine from the ground up. The first bike clubs post WWII were just misfit reflections of war time aftermath comradery meets the Hollywood Cowboy/Gangster notion.

Shit, all these street gang/outlaw clubs are just a deranged bi-product of that same projector reel. A more so direct product of a very poor up bringing.

The US has always practiced a completely BS notion of what it means to effectively enforce the laws that are designed to protect those who can't (or better put, shouldn't have to) protect themselves.

It's all about control, or at least it should be. We have none thanks to the social engineers and "poor pathetic me" baby sitters we have in our government. It's getting worse quick too. The bad guys get stronger and the weak just get weaker.

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
I SAY: FOREVER ANGELS!!!!!!!!

hellsangels1261969altam.jpg

hellsangels1261969altamh.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad