Review Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue (2009)

album review

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Artist: Alice in Chains
Album: Black Gives Way to Blue (2009)
Genre: Alternative Metal/ Alternative Rock

AIC_FINAL_COVERsmall.jpg

Personnel:

Jerry Cantrell – lead vocals, lead guitar
William DuVall – co-lead vocals, rhythm guitar
Mike Inez – bass, additional backing vocals
Sean Kinney – drums, percussion
Elton John – piano on "Black Gives Way to Blue"
Lisa Coleman – vibraphone on "Black Gives Way to Blue"
Chris Armstrong – tabla on "When the Sun Rose Again"
Stevie Black – string arrangement, performance, and engineering on "Your Decision" and "Private Hell"
Produced by Nick Raskulinecz and Alice in Chains
Recorded by Paul Figueroa with additional engineering by Nick Raskulinecz, assisted by John Lousteau, Martin Cooke, and Kevin Mills
Mixed by Randy Staub
Mastered by Ted Jensen

:tl:

1. "All Secrets Known"
2. "Check My Brain"
3. "Last of My Kind"
4. "Your Decision"
5. "A Looking in View"
6. "When the Sun Rose Again"
7. "Acid Bubble"
8. "Lesson Learned"
9. "Take Her Out"
10. "Private Hell"
11. "Black Gives Way to Blue"

This is the first album to appear from Alice in Chains in 14 years, following the demise of Layne Staley. Having the close relationship the band had prior to Layne’s death, has made it very tough for the band to bounce back with the same vigor AIC had in the 90's. When the band hired William DuVall, they didn’t want to box him as a clone of Staley, but to find a vocalist that still had the same "groove" that Staley had. IMO, they have accomplished this harmony and vibe with DuVall. It is evident after listening to the album, the band has put a tremendous amount of energy and work into this album.

Black Gives Way to Blue is a positive addition to the Alice in Chains legacy. The album is written from many experiences the band has had following Layne’s death, and also makes tribute to Layne. The lyrical topics deal with pain and loss, and surviving this type of pain and moving on in life. The sound isn’t anything new, the album is very nostalgic of the past. Although, the sound is very reminiscent of the past, the album is also exactly what has put Alice in Chains back on track. It is exactly what fans need to hear, Cantrell’s rolling sludge-like riffs and haunting melancholy vocals, which were the signature of AIC. The final track of the album, the title track, has Elton John on piano, even though this track is way too short, it shows that the band has finally healed from losing Layne.

The tracks "Private Hell" and "When the Sun Rose Again" show Cantrell’s ability to layer multiple guitar sounds, a dark sound that is so signature of AIC. "Private Hell" is the best track on the album, IMO. The lyrics are very deep and speak of feelings the band had preceding and following Laynes’ death. The tracks "Acid Bubble" and "Check My Brain" are very long tracks, with a dark tone, and a lot of distortion. A lot of the tracks on this album clock in at approximately 5 minutes in length, but none of them become overbearing, they all contain twists and turns to keep your interest. This album is some of the most creative songwriting and musicianship in the band’s career, IMO. Hopefully, this is just the beginning for the AIC of the 2000’s.

You may listen to the tracks below:

All Secrets Known

Check My Brain

Last of My Kind

Your Decision

A Looking in View

When the Sun Rose Again

Acid Bubble

Lesson Learned

Take Her Out

Private Hell

Black Gives Way to Blue

My rating for listening pleasure 5/5

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Alice in Chains ~ Black Gives Way to Blue (2009)

Nice review Magic, and it is the hardest thing to do replace a legend and carry on. You go through a period of mourning and then to decide the band should carry on and record more albums is hard, but the creative energy just can't be denied forever.

I have listened to this album, twice and it is good, better than I thought it would be. I am not dwelling on the past but I have a similar feeling when Brian Johnson took over for Bon Scott in ACDC, I like Layne Staley so old AIC will be my favorite.

I still might add this one to the library seeing I have all of AIC's albums on the shelf.;)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I am glad you will consider adding them to your library, LG. The album is very
reminiscent of the past sound of AIC, and I feel if they strayed too much from the past, they would lose a lot of their fan base. DuVall is a great replacement for Layne.......

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

This one's already on my Xmas wishlist :)

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score

I'm a huge grunge fan as most of you can tell haha but like everyone else Layne was the reason I listened to Alice In Chains. I think this album is great and Layne would be really proud of the band for not just calling it quits after his death.

b.o.b.

Reaction score

This album was a big surprise for me last year. I never expected such a quality come back from AIC.

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score

Also thanks for this review Magic, I listened to this album last night finally and I have to say I was impressed. I honestly didn't think they could pull it off.

Fabio

Reaction score
I am glad you will consider adding them to your library, LG. The album is very
reminiscent of the past sound of AIC, and I feel if they strayed too much from the past, they would lose a lot of their fan base. DuVall is a great replacement for Layne.......

This album was a big surprise for me last year. I never expected such a quality come back from AIC.

Also thanks for this review Magic, I listened to this album last night finally and I have to say I was impressed. I honestly didn't think they could pull it off.

I definitely agree 100% with you all. Also some of the lyrics, very autobiographical, moving and .... true, I guess.

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
I do like the album indeed, but I'm just not a huge fan of DuVall's voice.

Still glad the band is still playing and making music though. I feel like Layne would have wanted them to keep going.

RIP Layne Staley
layneyoungnew.jpg

(an old picture of Layne back in HS)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online