Album/CD discussion

India_Blue

Geronimo's Gal
Reaction score
Is there an album/cd that you really like and you are wondering what others think of it. Here is a place to post your thoughts..

I have been going through a lot of my old cds and playing cds I have not listened to in a bit. One I came across is Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection, which I think is absolutely wonderful.

What do you think of the songs on this album? Is there a favorite one you have? Why do you think it has songs with references to historical events such as My Father's Gun and Where to Now St. Peter?

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Love this album. Where to Now St. Peter is one of my favorite Elton John songs. Probably ties with Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters as my all-time favorite Elton John song.

Elton John and Bernie Taupin wrote some of the most beautiful music from my youth. Personally I think Bernie Taupin is my favorite lyricist.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
I haven't heard that album in years. I never owned it. I had a roommate who was an Elton John fan so I didn't have to. In fact, I don't think I've ever bought a single LP or CD. But the thing I remember about this album is that it surprised me. I think it was his second. And it seemed so different from the first. The first seemed like another one of those singer/songwriter things that was so prevalent at the time. But this one seemed multi-dimensional. And a Brit doing the western mythology thing seemed quite novel.

Spike

Nirvanadude

Vinyl Collector
Reaction score
I love Elton John's music. I'm mostly into his mainstream stuff from the 70s with the exception of the entire "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" album

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score
tumbleweed is a great album. i've been fanatical about it and madman since i was a kid, really, and almost as nuts about goodbye yellow brick road.

where to now st peter is my fave song on the album, but second place has many a tie.

as far as brits doing the western myth thing, this album *does* remind me of the some of the stones countrified-blues things, just in general feel. not implying a relationship... just that i LIKE it.

ballad of a well-known gun still cranks, by the way. amoreena is totally under-rated.

i've worn several copies of this album into dust.

kath
hopskipjumping thru thoughts without organization.

swede

Reaction score
I love the new cd with D-A-D, Scare Yourself. It´s not released outside Scandinavia yet but will be so in feb -06 until then try Everything Glows, a great album, great rocknroll. I will check Elton out :)

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
I think I liked "Madman.." better.
I guess cause of all the BIG arrangements.
'Tumbleweed..' is solid.

that singer/songwriter thing and the 'back to basics' sort of Band influence really was a breath of fresh air in a lot of ways.

Speaking of Elton...
does anybody have a theory what the song "Take me to the Pilot" is about?
I've been wondering for a couple decades now.

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score
Martha Washington said:
Speaking of Elton...
does anybody have a theory what the song "Take me to the Pilot" is about?
I've been wondering for a couple decades now.

well, it starts out easily enough. ya know, the whole "yer treating me like crap, so take me to the control panel of yer sorry soul so i can take control and change yer settings" thing.

but then it gets kinda blurry for me.

welll i know he's not old
and i'm told and i'm told he's a virgin
for he may be she... what i'm told
is never never for certain...

(this is from memory, so gimme a break.)

i dunno what the hell is going on there, but it sounds pretty kinky.

kath
ever-helpful

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
kath said:
well, it starts out easily enough. ya know, the whole "yer treating me like crap, so take me to the control panel of yer sorry soul so i can take control and change yer settings" thing.

but then it gets kinda blurry for me.

welll i know he's not old
and i'm told and i'm told he's a virgin
for he may be she... what i'm told
is never never for certain...

(this is from memory, so gimme a break.)

i dunno what the hell is going on there, but it sounds pretty kinky.

kath
ever-helpful
Pretty good memory Kath. I love Take Me To The Pilot but I can't remember most of the lyrics. Even if Bernie Taupin is my favorite lyricist. Geez this getting old crap is annoying sometimes. :confused:

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Martha Washington said:
that singer/songwriter thing and the 'back to basics' sort of Band influence really was a breath of fresh air in a lot of ways.

This is interesting; I had never made a connection between The Band and Tumbleweed Connection. But such a connection isn't far fetched if you think about it. I remember reading somewhere that Clapton was particularly taken with The Band. They might have seemed a "breath of fresh air" because they had a feel of tradition and authenticity after psychedelia (think Tales of Brave Ullyses) had been pushing boundaries about as far as they could go. A similar thing may also be at work re Kath's observation about the Stones & country music (think 2000 Light Years from Home v. Wild Horses). But it seems somewhat ironic to connect the Brits with Americana and authenticity. And in a leap of logic that may only be obvious to me, this brings to mind one of my favorite albums of the era: Unhalfbricking by Fairport Convention. This work of folk rock genius demonstrates that it's possible for Brit rockers to plunder the past for inspiration without crossing the Atlantic. Anyone else remember that album?

Spike

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online