Aimee Mann

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Aimee Mann

aimme-750970.jpg

Aimee Mann is a singer/songwriter who started off in a one hit wonder 80's band 'Til Tuesday who'***** you'll surely recognize.

'Til Tuesday-Voices Carry

It's hard to believe that that singer is actually a respected solo artist now. I dig Aimee Mann for one main reason but it's a pretty good reason to me. I heard her music from her soundtrack work on

Magnolia

magnolia.jpg

In both the soundtrack and in the movie itself Aimee contributes a collection of established and new songs by her. Director Paul Thomas Anderson requested her contributions because Magnolia was written after being inspired by Mann's solo work. The movie and music is so cohesive and Mann's music is the glue that holds the scatterbrained, dysfunctional group of characters together and grounds the movie. Magnolia is in my top five movies of all time and Aimee Mann plays a huge role in that.

Here are my favorite contributions:

Aimee Mann-Save Me
(This song was written specifically for the film. It was also the main release off of the soundtrack)

Aimee Mann-One
(Three Dog Night cover she sang for the movie, Live version)

Aimee Mann-Wise Up
(my favorite song and beautiful, surreal moment in the movie)

I never did buy any more of her work but I hear her work everytime I watch this movie and I still spin the soundtrack on occasion. I wish more movies would weave music into the film more than just as an excuse to blast potential number one singles. Maybe it'll take another Aimee Mann to inspire a director to do this! We'll see but for now I still have the Magnolias/Aimee Mann hybrid to go back to!

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I'll come back when I have more time to comment.. But Aimee rocks.. Really liked her in Til Tuesday.. Voices carry is such a great song.. One of those 80's stick in you mind songs..

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
If you like the soundtrack to Magnolia you really should buy some more of her albums. At least get "Bachelor No. 2" which was recorded around the same time as Magnolia. I love all her albums since and have seen her live a few times. She use to do a vaudeville show with her husband, Michael Penn, where they would alternate songs. I saw her this year and she did an all request show. She handed out paper and told everyone to write down requests and make a paper plane and throw them on the stage.

I liked her Til Tuesday stuff too but she has matured as an artist and her solo albums all have a great feel to them. Each album has some dogs but she makes up with some great songs.

shots over the years
868807924_bbad555136.jpg

3725156313_f53ff10984.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlineclass

Members online