Aerosmith/ZZ top - 2009

Reaction score
I will be reviewing the Pittsburgh show, this past July

ZZ top came on first, their show was incredible. the showman ship lacked some energy of other shows on the tour(that I've seen clips of) but the music made up for it. They extended many songs and jammed for a bit, it was great, they played mostly the mid 70s - early 80s hits, but they didn't play a few lesser known songs, it was nice to hear something besides sharp dressed man and cheap sunglasses (they did play these, but it wasn't those and the eliminator album and the other 80s output) it was Tush, and Heard it on the X as well. They ended with Just Got Paid and jammed on it for a good six maybe seven minutes at the end and the playing was better than the albums, better than the clips from the 70s I've seen. the only bummer of the show was the wait between ZZ top and Aerosmith, they waited for it to get dark, but zz top got done around 8:15, it didn't get dark till a bit past nine, then Aerosmith came on, I've never seen another 60 year old man move like that.... I don't even think I can do what Mr. Tyler still does now. at sixty some years old hes still humping the microphone stand. The set list was great, they extended sweet emotion and put some nice solos right in the middle then ended with some serious energy, the ending of the song was so powerful.
The only part of their show I dind't like was Joe perry trying to sing... it was quite an interesting thing to listen to especially after his voice went out after the first thirty seconds. I never liked his solo work, and this was the perfect example why. but after that they finished out the show great, They're encore was Come Together and they played Toys in the Attic in its entirety, with some extras, stuff from Rocks and Get your wings, Train kept a rolling was incredible as well, very very powerful through out the whole song, they just beat the hell out of it

Steven Tyler didn't even fall off the stage that night either, no one walked off the stage, no fights between the band, overall a very good show, energetic good music, good crowd, two great bands, and just awesome

Glad I got to see them before the fighting resumed and the falling off the stage happened

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Steven Tyler didn't even fall off the stage that night either, no one walked off the stage, no fights between the band....

What?! Not even any fights? And you call that a rock concert?

:wtf:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Sounds like a good time Eberg, I have never seen Aerosmith play in concert, one of the few bands that I missed out on for various reasons. I felt the same way about Mick Jagger in 1996 I think it was, he had the same amazing energy that you experienced with Steven Tyler.

I am not sure what Fights you are referring to thought, between the bands, the roadies, the fans...?

Reaction score
Sounds like a good time Eberg, I have never seen Aerosmith play in concert, one of the few bands that I missed out on for various reasons. I felt the same way about Mick Jagger in 1996 I think it was, he had the same amazing energy that you experienced with Steven Tyler.

I am not sure what Fights you are referring to thought, between the bands, the roadies, the fans...?

oh haha, Joe and Steven, not litterally fist fights, but their little ego squabbles :tongue:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Okay, that sounds better...lol.

Years ago long before you were a gleam in your parents eye, Bachman Turner Overdrive were on tour and the Baby's were opening for them in the US, anyway during one show in Pittsburgh I think the Baby's played way over their set list and when BTO's road crew tried to set up their equipment a major brawl broke out between the roaides...so I was thinking along those lines when you said Fights. Anyway after the dust settled BTO kicked John Waite's band off the rest of the tour and never wanted anything to do with them again.

Reaction score
Okay, that sounds better...lol.

Years ago long before you were a gleam in your parents eye, Bachman Turner Overdrive were on tour and the Baby's were opening for them in the US, anyway during one show in Pittsburgh I think the Baby's played way over their set list and when BTO's road crew tried to set up their equipment a major brawl broke out between the roaides...so I was thinking along those lines when you said Fights. Anyway after the dust settled BTO kicked John Waite's band off the rest of the tour and never wanted anything to do with them again.

:heheh:

figures it would be pittsburgh......
I can just picture like nine guys, big guys in flannel shirts beating eachother with amplifiers and guitars, if I ever make a movie that's going to be a scene, I'll have an oscar for that

and why does the name John Waite look familiar, was he in another band?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I am not sure if he was in another band Eberg, he did leave the Baby's and started his own solo career.

I do like one of his songs, "Missing You".

Reaction score
I am not sure if he was in another band Eberg, he did leave the Baby's and started his own solo career.

I do like one of his songs, "Missing You".

ok, this was what I was thinking of, it must have been on Vh1 Classic's Totally 80s late one night last summer or something, I remember the video
I like ZZ Top but other than "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" I'm not really into Aerosmith ..

Nice review ...
:grinthumb

aw come on, Same Old Song and Dance, Sweet Emotion ??? I don't know how you can't like them

and also, Sometime when I get around to it I'm going to make a comparative review of four tom petty albums, as long as I don't get lazy it could be epic, hell, I may even fix up the grammar and use it for school later on if need be, but there's your preview, it will be my two favorite TP+HB albums and the only two I don't like, so wait for it :heybaby:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Damn The Torpedoes is my all time favorite TP and the Heartbreakers album.:grinthumb

Flower I like early Aerosmith,,,but I am not a big fan of their new material either.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.