Review Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic (1975)

album review

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Band: Aerosmith
Album: Toys in the Attic
Released: 1975
Label: Columbia
Remastered: 1993 by Sony Music Distribution
Genre: Hard Rock / Blues-Rock

1713411461213.jpeg

Personnel:

• Steven Tyler - Lead Vocals, Percussion , Bass, Harmonica, Keyboards, Arranger
• Joe Perry - Backing Vocals, Vocals, Talkbox on "Sweet Emotion", Acoustic Guitar, Bass, Percussion, Rhythm Guitar, Slide Guitar, Guitar
• Brad Whitford - Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Rhythm Guitar
• Tom Hamilton - Bass, Guitar
• Joey Kramer - Drums, Percussion,Vocals, Backing Vocals

With

• Scott Cushnie – Piano on "Big Ten Inch Record" and "No More No More"
• Michael Mainieri – Conductor, Orchestral Arranger
• Jay Messina – Percussion, Bass marimba on "Sweet Emotion", Engineer
• Jack Douglas - Keyboards, Backing Vocals , Arranger, Producer

:tl:

1. "Toys in the Attic" Steven Tyler, Joe Perry 3:06
2. "Uncle Salty" Tyler, Tom Hamilton 4:10
3. "Adam's Apple" Tyler, Perry 4:34
4. "Walk This Way" Tyler, Perry 3:40
5. "Big Ten Inch Record" Fred Weismantel 2:14
6. "Sweet Emotion" Tyler, Hamilton 4:34
7. "No More No More" Tyler, Perry 4:34
8. "Round and Round" Tyler, Brad Whitford 5:05
9. "You See Me Crying" Tyler, Don Solomon 5:12

The album: Toys in the Attic is the 3rd album by Aerosmith and their 2nd most commercially successful album. This album peaked at #11 on the charts in 1975 and remained on the charts for 128 weeks. It has been certified 8x multiplatinum by the RIAA. This album contains a couple of the band’s biggest hits “Walk This Way” and “Sweet Emotion”. The song “Toys in the Attic” is listed in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as one of the 500 songs to shape rock and roll. Now with all the credentials for the album out of the way, let me tell you what I think of the album: This album signifies the 70’s and what it means to be rock n’ roll. The album is what I call raunch n’ roll. The sound is gritty, sleazy, bluesy, and loaded with innuendo. Steven Tyler is a god at delivering innuendo and sleaze and Joe Perry delivers some of his best guitar riffage in this album. The rhythm section is heavy on this album, and the album just delivers nothing but greasy, gritty rock n’ roll fun.

The music: The album opens with “Toys in the Attic”, which has a crescendo of cymbals that leads to some heavy guitar riffs from Perry and a funky bass line from Hamilton. Kramer gives a superb percussion display in this song, and the lyrics are just plain fun. “Uncle Salty” is a funky song, heavy with blues influence but yet is eerie with some creepy lyrics about insanity. The bass and guitar hook in this song is killer. “Adam’s Apple” is full of metaphors and innuendo and anyone who can put “apple” and “love at first bite” into a song and make it work, in a honky–tonk way, gets my vote. :) “Walk This Way” is one of the best hits from Aerosmith, and also one of the best and most recognized guitar riffs from the 70's, a song that launched the band’s career into orbit. “Big Ten Inch Record” is the weakest link of the entire album, IMO. The song has raunchy lyrics, but a decent boogie groove, and the harmonica is a nice touch. “Sweet Emotion” is my personal favorite from the album and another top charting hit for Aerosmith. You have a classic intro with all the percussion sounds and the talkbox that leads into another simple yet classic guitar hook from Perry. “No More, No More” is an underrated track, the lyrics are the best written lyrics on the album, IMO. I really like the bluesy, Bob Dylan-like feel this song has. “Round and Round” has a deep, dark sound with some great riffs and hooks from Perry and Hamilton. This song was a great builder to the album grand finally: “You See Me Crying” which is an epic ending for the album. This song opens with Tyler on the piano along with some superbly orchestrated music then Tyler delivers some of his best vocals from the album in this very heartfelt and melodic ballad.

If you don’t own any Aerosmith albums, this is the one to get, if for no other reason than the hits Walk this Way, Toys in the Attic, and Sweet Emotion. In my Opinion, I would get the album just to hear Tyler deliver a melodic ballad while playing piano to an orchestra accompaniment, and not ooze with sexual innuendo, now THAT is the masterpiece to hear !!

My rating for listening pleasure 5/5.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Aerosmith ~ Toys in the Attic (1975)

That is probably my favorite album by your boys, they seem to have come into their own and just produced a killer record.

Another First Class review by the bands resident Groupie...::tw:

Reaction score

Magic... I don't think there is anything left to say about the album you didn't say... guess it would be waste of space to copy and paste your whole post:D
so I'll just say I agree

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Thank you, LG and Eberg! I just love the Bad Boys...it is really hard to be objective in my reviews, because I like all their music, even the not so good tracks. This is not my favorite album, but has my favorite song "Sweet Emotion", my favorite album is yet to come :D

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

If Get Your Wings brought Aerosmith to the public spotlight, Toys In The Attic is the album in which they took flight. Every song is a winner!

"Sweet Emotion" has the groove that's right in my sweet spot, but I also like "No More No More" and "Round and Round" a lot, too.

"Toys in the Attic" and "Walk This Way" were always good rock radio hits, but I also liked "Uncle Salty" and "Adam's Apple" for that certain "je ne sais quois".

Closing out the record was their signature power-ballad in "You See Me Crying", which was always a favorite of mine.

I'm loyal to Rocks as my favorite Aerosmith album, but for discussion purposes Toys In The Attic is every bit as good. :cheers:

Edited to add:

“Big Ten Inch Record” is the weakest link of the entire album, IMO. The song has raunchy lyrics, but a decent boogie groove, and the harmonica is a nice touch.
Though I don't know the lyrics, I agree about your opinion of "Big Ten Inch Record"... not my favorite song from that album either. But in terms of raunchiness, "Walk This Way" has a line or two in it that surprised even Tyler himself that it would get played on the radio at all. Apparently the offensive lyrics got past everyone who mattered back in the mid-70's. Or perhaps they just looked the other way. ;)

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^The first time I heard "Rocks" was on an 8 Track KMET...boy that takes me back.:rock:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I never thought of "You See Me Crying" as a power ballad :eek: Ballad yes, but not a power ballad. :)

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

Well, imo a ballad is either acoustic or it incorporates plugged-in electrical instrumentation.

So perhaps they weren't typical of the 80's hair-band power-ballad standards, but then again, this was the 70's. :)

Your mileage may vary. ;)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Well, imo a ballad is either acoustic or it incorporates plugged-in electrical instrumentation.

So perhaps they weren't typical of the 80's hair-band power-ballad standards, but then again, this was the 70's. :)

Your mileage may vary. ;)

OK, by 70's standards I will agree, but the 80's redefined the power ballad, and I was speaking after-the-fact...

My mileage...lol....that was a cute touch, and touche' !!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online