2 I Wanna Know Why 3:09

3 Critical Mass 4:53

4 Get It Up 4:02

5 Bright Light Fright 2:19

6 Kings and Queens 4:55

7 The Hand That Feeds 4:23

8 Sight for Sore Eyes 3:56

9 Milk Cow Blues 4:14

The Album: This is the 5th album by Aerosmith and currently holds a 2x platinum status with the RIAA. Neither the band name or the logo appear anywhere on the album sleeve. The caricature cover drawing was done by Al Hirschfeld, who was famous for his black and white drawings of celebrities. The album was recorded in an abandoned convent, Cenacle, the band rented in New York, where the band lived while recording the album, doing the three things they loved most; partying, playing music, and living life on the edge. This album didn’t leave the best impression on me, it has a crazy mash-up of music styles but nothing spectacular, fairly haphazard with hit-and-miss songs but just interesting enough for me to listen to. The band definitely was having some difficulties at this time with over inflated egos, excessive life styles, and some professional problems, and I feel these problems are reflected in this album. This album appears to be a dropping off point for Aerosmith, but still manages to have some really good work from the band. Most of the songs seem rushed with poor production, but I still like the album, it just isn’t the super hit that I found in “Toys in the Attic” or “Rocks”.

The Music:
Draw the Line The title track of the album, and the biggest hit to come from this album. This song has a fantastic slide guitar riff from Perry. The vocals are terrible, Tyler is screeching at the top of his lungs, to the point I can barely understand what he is saying in the middle of the song.

I Wanna Know Why This song is one of those songs you just think to yourself, what was the band trying to do here? I will say it does have a decent boogie to it, though.

Critical Mass This song returns to more of what I would expect Aerosmith to record. A great bass line from Hamilton, some harmonica solos, excellent experimental guitar work, and a great story line to the lyrics.

Get it Up I am not real impressed with this song, but it is reminiscent of past Aerosmith songs. Perry does some great slide work, and Tyler sings about sex and alcohol, of course. I will say the chorus is catchy, though.

Bright Light Fright I have nothing to say about this song that is positive. But Perry insisted this song be on the album, and no wonder, this was his first time being recorded as the lead vocalist. This song is horrid.

Kings and Queens This song is my personal favorite from the album. The heaviest song on the album, with a deep, dark sound, melancholy pace, and medieval lyrics. The guitar solos are decent, Tyler’s vocals are clear and precise, and the piano arrangement is outstanding.

The Hand That Feeds Another song I consider unpleasant. The vocals are screeching with the line “The only thing left to do is bite the hand that feeds me”…….definitely sends a message about what is happening to the band’s careers at this point.

Sight for Sore Eyes This song is a funky song, with a good groove. There is a decent solo, too, in the middle of the song. I like the lyrics, “She is a sight for sore eyes”, kinda made me wonder what kind of girls they were hanging with during this time to write such a song.

Milk Cow Blues This is the first album that didn’t end with a ballad. This song has a cute, happy riff and some fantastic harmonica work. A decent remake of the Kinks rendition.

This album isn’t a total loss, but it was a very rushed album, that was thrown together literally in a matter of weeks. Columbia Records had the pressure on Aerosmith to meet the formula of releasing an album a year, plus meet all the commitments of touring. The band was tired, did too much drugs and alcohol, and they were out of inspiration. “Draw the Line” was almost the end for Aerosmith, but also was the “party” album for the band. If it weren't for "Draw the Line", "Critical Mass", "Kings and Queens", and "Sight for Sore Eyes", I would not even consider recommending the album to anyone, but there is just enough in those songs to make the album worth having.

My rating for listening pleasure 3.5/5

bobbyg29

Professor of Rock n Roll
Reaction score
Re: Aerosmith ~ Draw the Line (1977)

Great review! That's the exact rating I gave it to. Yes, it is a let down after the 3 monster albums that preceded it...they had set a pretty high standard that it would be hard for any band to live up to. "Kings and Queens" is one of my favorite Aerosmith songs so I still give the album a spin every now and then.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Another first class review Magic, I still like this album but like Bobby said it was just not quite at the level of it's predecessors, but I still play this one too.:tup:

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

For whatever reason(s), rock radio mostly played just "Draw The Line" from this album (and on rare occasions "Kings And Queens"), but there were a few other great songs deserving airplay than just those two - such as "I Wanna Know Why", "Get It Up" and "Sight for Sore Eyes". The overall sound was kind of raw and flat compared to Rocks, but it was typical for them I suppose. "Bright Light Fright" and "The Hand That Feeds" were ok songs too, but I never got into "Critical Mass" or "Milk Cow Blues". Overall it's not all that bad of an album, but on this one I have to program the cd player to re-sequence the songs on playback for a better flow.

Tiny Tim

Reaction score

Nice review, but I have to totally disagree with you on Bright Light Fright. It encapsulates what life in the band was like in that moment and is my favorite song on the record. On the other hand, Kings and Queens, while a good song, seems totally out of place on this record and out of character for Aerosmith.

Funny how too people can look at the same thing and see something totally different.:heheh:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Nice review, but I have to totally disagree with you on Bright Light Fright. It encapsulates what life in the band was like in that moment and is my favorite song on the record. On the other hand, Kings and Queens, while a good song, seems totally out of place on this record and out of character for Aerosmith.

Funny how too people can look at the same thing and see something totally different.:heheh:

I should back up a bit on "Bright Light Fright", and give Perry a tumbs up for his vocals. He did do a good job. IMO, the song just doesn't fit Aerosmith. I know people who like this song, have really good things to say about it, but I just cringe when I hear it.

"Kings and Queens" seems like it should be a song from "Rocks", it is more in character for that album than "Draw the Line", but I love the medieval theme of the song.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Good review..I agree with Bright Light Fright but disagree with the title track.

I LOVE Draw The Line...that tunes rocks for me. :grinthumb

:cheers:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

Draw the Line The title track of the album, and the biggest hit to come from this album. This song has a fantastic slide guitar riff from Perry. The vocals are terrible, Tyler is screeching at the top of his lungs, to the point I can barely understand what he is saying in the middle of the song.

Ah man, that's the best part...classic Tyler! :grinthumb

I LOVE Draw The Line...that tunes rocks for me. :grinthumb

I agree, with Metal Priest about the song. And think the album was pretty good.

My favorites songs from the album are...

Sight for Sore Eyes
I Wanna Know Why
Kings and Queens
Draw the Line
Get It Up
Milk Cow Blues

''Kings and Queens'' is one of my all-time favorites. ''Milk Cow Blues'' is my favorite version of this song, it just jams, and I really love the ending of the song.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online