Review Aerosmith - Aerosmith Debut (1973)

album review

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Aerosmith ~ Aerosmith Debut (1973)

One weird question for everyone, I've been a fan of Aerosmith since the late 70's so I don't notice but when I have the ipod on shuffle for me & the wife,whenever a song from the first 2 Aerosmith albums comes on she has no idea what artist is on & then she's always surprised when I say it's Aerosmith. She says Tyler sounds so different as does the music.She's 6 years younger & grew up on the Permanent Vacation/Pump stuff but I don't see that much difference in his voice how about anyone else?

I dont notice a huge change in Tyler's voice between the old music and the newer stuff, except maybe his energy level is different. He doesn't seem as out of control and raw on the newer stuff. But the newer music is definitely different, which sometimes makes it difficult for me to identify the songs as "Aerosmith". They have really changed their music style over the years.

Reaction score

This has to be one of my least favorite album covers:tongue: that is pretty awful looking.....

but to the important part
I will not listen to the studio version of Dream On, I have never liked that song, I like live versions, the studio one is so obnoxious:D

I like the album over all though, Aerosmith albums are so short though, they go too quick!
I like Mama Kin, One Way Street and my favorite off this one is Walking The Dog(RTbuck, I'll have to check out some of those covers, I've never really looked into more)

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.

This is probably my favorite Aerosmith album.... Too bad they morphed into such a sell- out joke of a band after Rocks. Today they are like a completely differend band--and the change was NOT for the better! I used to LOVE Aerosmith, but now...

Moving Out is my favorite track, and the first ever tune written by Tyler/Perry. Great bluesy hard rock on this disk...I love it!

FireandWater

Family Man
Reaction score

8.5/10

I love the bluesy tone on the album. Great debut.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
It's interesting that Dream On never cracked Billboard's Top 40 (or the top 50, for that matter), when first released.

When it was re-released in 76, it went to #6. As is the case with a lot of bands, their earlier stuff was re-released after they'd gained a bit of popularity.

Aerosmith went gold in 75, 2 years after it was released. I don't know for a fact, but I'd be willing to bet the spike in sales was due to the popularity of Toys In The Attic.

Another phenomenom, in 1986, the Aerosmith debut album jumped from Gold to 2X Platinum.

No doubt the work of the MTV version Aerosmith fans. Wonder how many sat down to listen to One Way Street, (my personal fave), and scratched their heads, wondering why it sounded so...unpolished.

Where's the strings? Where the smooth production? Where's the gloss?

The entire album sounds like it has a sore throat.

Hehehe. That's my Aerosmith, young person.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I love the Aerosmith which was gritty and unpolished...........

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online