Acoustic blues

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
So I made my thread praising Big Jack Johnson and that brings up the topic of acoustic blues. Is anybody fond of it? Does anybody have anything they can reccomend me? I love the groovy acoustic guitar stuff with harmonica & all that and I also like the eerie folkish kind of stuff like on Bob Dylan's debut album.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
AboutAGirl said:
So I made my thread praising Big Jack Johnson and that brings up the topic of acoustic blues. Is anybody fond of it? Does anybody have anything they can reccomend me? I love the groovy acoustic guitar stuff with harmonica & all that and I also like the eerie folkish kind of stuff like on Bob Dylan's debut album.

I love acoustic blues, particulary the old pre-electric stuff, such as:

1) Mississippi John Hurt -- His 60s folk revival stuff is good, but start with his complete 1928 recordings.

2) Casey Bill Weldon -- This guys a pretty obscure mid-30s bluesman who was known as the "Hawaiian Guitar Wizard." Mostly upbeat good times slide guitar blues.

3) Blind Willie Johnson -- One of the best slide guitarists whoever lived. But he might be an acquired taste. He recorded in the late 20s and only played religious music. He did the original version of "Jesus Make Up My Dyin' Bed," which appeared on Dylan's first album as "In My Time of Dyin'" and was also done by Zeppelin by that title.

I could give you a bunch more but that's enough to start... :)

Spike

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Thankyou for the reccomendations. I'll check this stuff out as soon as I get the chance. :D

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score
Spike said:
1) Mississippi John Hurt -- His 60s folk revival stuff is good, but start with his complete 1928 recordings.

my dad played him all the time when i was a wee spawn. luv it.

kath
lately, i've been in the acoustic rory zone.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
I ran across a Stevie Ray Vaughan compilation called 'slow blues'. It's mostly him playing stripped down blues songs. It's not acoustic, more of a clean electric guitar, but I'd definitely recommend it. It has the same vibe.

India_Blue

Geronimo's Gal
Reaction score
kath said:
my dad played him all the time when i was a wee spawn. luv it.

kath
lately, i've been in the acoustic rory zone.

Hmmm, I will have to check out Mississippi John Hurt. I really like the blues starting around that period 'the 30s', it's so raw and full of feeling.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
India_Blue said:
Hmmm, I will have to check out Mississippi John Hurt. I really like the blues starting around that period 'the 30s', it's so raw and full of feeling.

Mississippi John Hurt is not raw, although his music is certainly full of feeling. Blues purists with a narrow view of things might not even classify him as blues; they might call him a folk singer. His voice is soft and his acoustic picking is clean -- even when he's singing a murder ballad. Now Blind Willie Johnson is raw -- his voice is gutteral and his slide guitar can slash and burn. I like them both. :)

Spike

Last edited:

India_Blue

Geronimo's Gal
Reaction score
Spike said:
Mississippi John Hurt is not raw, although it's certainly full of feeling. Blues purists with a narrow view of things might not even classify him as blues; they might call him a folk singer. His voice is soft and his acoustic picking is clean -- even when he's singing a murder ballad. Now Blind Willie Johnson is raw -- his voice is gutteral and his slide guitar can slash and burn. I like them both. :)

Spike

Yeah, that reminds me of Charlie Patton. I love his voice too.

theleafs

Reaction score
try to find a great new release by 2 Canadian guitar virtuosos- Kevin Breit and Harry Manx- called Jubilee...if you like acoustic blues you'll love this...
more info http://www.harrymanx.com

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online