Acid King (Official Thread)

Grunge

Grotesque Perversion
Reaction score
Acid King

qnqznp.jpg

Website

Acid King is a stoner metal band from San Francisco, California. It was formed in 1993 by frontwoman Lori S., drummer Joey Osbourne and bassist Peter Lucas. Acid King have since recorded three studio albums and three EPs with a series of bassists.

The band's name was inspired by the book Say You Love Satan. It is based on the crimes of Ricky Kasso (nicknamed 'The Acid King') who committed a satanically-motivated murder in Northport, New York during 1984. The band itself have also been featured in two books – The Encyclopedia of Heavy Metal and the A to Z of Doom, Gothic & Stoner Metal – both published in 2003.

Reviews
x They’re among the leaders of psychedelic stoner metal. Less spacey than label mates Sons of Otis, more jam-oriented than doom outfits like Ufomammut and Electric Wizard, Acid King exist in a thunderous low-end that shakes foundations even at the lowest volume. Listening to songs like “”Wheel Nation” or “On to Everafter” is like watching molasses pour out of a jar. It’s thick and viscous, pooling together in a meaty muck.

x Acid King are doomy as hell, and they groove. If you like Electric Wizard and Sleep, you'll instantly fall victim to their slow, Sabbathy tunes. Lori S. leads this 3-piece with her eerie, droning vocals and badass riffs. Oh, so heavy.

Current members
Lori S. guitar, vocals, lyrics (1993 - present)
Joey Osbourne - drums (1993 - present)
Rafa Martinez - bass (2005 - present)

Previous members
Dale Crover additional vocals on Acid King
Peter Lucas bass (1993 - 1996)
Dan Southwick bass (1996 - 1998)
Brian Hill bass (1998 - 1999)
Guy Pinhas bass (1999 - 2005)

Discography

2ufbrrr.jpg
Acid King EP (1994)

20pf3es.jpg
Zoroaster (1995)

244wtw3.jpg
Down with the Crown EP (1997)

jl07ki.jpg
Busse Woods (1999)

2dir4uo.jpg
Free... (2001)

f0z2w6.jpg
Acid King lll (2005)

1tse39.jpg
The Early Years (2006)

Myspace
http://www.myspace.com/acidking

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Acid King

Wow...I am impressed Grunge I like this band. The vocals are right in my wheelhouse and the music is epic, refreshing to hear a woman fronting one of these bands.

Best album recommendations...anyone?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Not too bad..:)

There are some pretty dense and heavy riffs, extreme sludgey sound. I like the melancholy slowness of their music....

I would like to know the best album to start with, also??

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I agree with everyone else! I may never be a follower of the genre but because of the vocalist I could get into the music and found some pretty good elements in the music. My two favorite parts of your thread:

1. Bad Vision-Best song there and I like the heavy music and the cool "woah oh oh oh" chorus! Best vocals in the bunch IMO! :grinthumb

2. The entrancing mushroom in Free! I'm not a stoner by any means but sometimes I feel likew my mind wants to be because the mushroom had me entranced and feeling very mellow the whole time! :lmao: Most time I've ever spent with a 'shroom since Super Mario! :lmao:

Grunge

Grotesque Perversion
Reaction score

I agree with everyone else! I may never be a follower of the genre but because of the vocalist I could get into the music and found some pretty good elements in the music. My two favorite parts of your thread:

1. Bad Vision-Best song there and I like the heavy music and the cool "woah oh oh oh" chorus! Best vocals in the bunch IMO! :grinthumb

2. The entrancing mushroom in Free! I'm not a stoner by any means but sometimes I feel likew my mind wants to be because the mushroom had me entranced and feeling very mellow the whole time! :lmao: Most time I've ever spent with a 'shroom since Super Mario! :lmao:

Damn Bri, I adore you're describing of what you liked specifically. It makes me hawt. That's shit I like to know and I didn't even have to ask. Bad Vision is a favorite of a lot of Acid King fans. It's one of mine included. I knew that mushroom would have an effect on someone and who better it to be than you :****:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online