Acid Bath - Paegan Terrorism Tactics (1996)

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

tumblr_m0cin80CRI1qct8mao1_1280.jpg
Band: Acid Bath
Genre/Genres: Sludge Metal, Doom Metal, Stoner Metal/Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal.
Year of Release: 1996

Personnel
Dax Riggs - Vocals
Mike Sanchez - Guitar
Sammy "Pierre" Duet - Guitar, Backing Vocals
Audie Pitre - Bass Guitar, Backing Vocals
Jimmy Kyle - Drums, Percussion

Track Listing
1. "Paegan Love Song"
2. "Bleed Me an Ocean"
3. "Graveflower"
4. "Diäb Soulé"
5. "Locust Spawning"
6. "Old Skin"
7. "New Death Sensation"
8. "Venus Blue"
9. "13 Fingers"
10. "New Corpse"
11. "Dead Girl"
12. "The Beautiful Downgrade (Hidden Track)"

Paegan Terrorism Tactics is the second album from the Louisianna based group, Acid Bath. While they showed what they were made of with their debut "When The Kite String Pops" they proved it was not a fluke and that unlike most bands they would top it with their sophomore release. Acid Bath is really hard to classify because they draw influences from black metal, death metal, gothic rock, blues, folk, country, grindcore, hard rock, sludge metal, doom metal, stoner metal, and psychedelic rock. Now while their combination of extreme metals are not showcased as much on this album as the first, when they do decide to let it all go, it is heavier than anything on "When the Kite Sting Pops". On "Paegan Terrorism Tactics" they show much more consistent songwriting and a generally more confident and mature tone, which is why I think they topped their debut.

Mike Sanchez and Sammy Duet really give the songs their mood and attitude. Switching between doom metal sludge with rock n roll groove, clean gothic rock tone with a drone, a death metal/grindcore like riff, or a bluesy folk number, they gave the songs their meat and since they are able to pull off what ever they tried they really are one of the reasons why this band could try any genre or combine what ever influence they had and wanted to throw into their sound.

Jimmy Kyle's drumming is really creative and even now is still original. He adds so much to every song and really helped catapult them into a different level since he rarely sticks to straightforward rhythms. Making the slow sections feel depraved and the speed frantic. He is a very tasteful drummer rarely ever over using double bass or fills and shows lots of restraint when it's needed. His tone is very pleasing. The bass drums aren't triggered and dont have that click sound to them, and the snare is suitably sonorous. It's too bad that after this band fell apart due to so much drug abuse and the death of Audie Pitre (bass), he became a born-again Christian and never recorded music again. He probably would have been considered one of the all time greats. I think his body of work puts him there, but who knows what else he could have done.

Audie Pitre's bass is felt behind every riff, not always following the guitar, and dragging the sound into even darker depths than they already were at. In the softer songs like Graveflower, he's just as audible as the guitars and is very melodic. Many people make the mistake of stating that those insane high black metal like shrieks in certain sections were Sammy's, but they were actually Audie. I dont even think black metal vocals are this harsh. The only other vocalist I have heard like this is, Kirk Fisher of the North Carolina sludge metal band Buzzov*en. It is not overdone and really does add an element of creepiness as well as anger to the songs.

Now, Dax Riggs, the centerpiece, in my opinion. Simply put, the man really is the last piece of the puzzle and is the reason they are not just sludge, doom, death, black, thrash, or stoner metal. He is a genius here. His vocals go from a deceptive and soft croon, to grunge influenced inflections, to passionate higher pitched vocals, to harsh screams. His tone reminds me a bit of Jim Morrison and Glen Danzig. His lyrics are extremely dark and some of the most genuinely dark out there too. They are twisted to an extent and I think only reached by the likes of Pig Destroyer and even their lyrics are not on this level. They are dark, but they are also very poetic. Some of the themes of the lyrics are drug use, death, love, and a bit of dark humor. They are in perfect synergy with the music. That's what makes this album so impressive since everything fits together so well.

Almost anything you're looking for, this can provide. You want a really aggressive, murderous song on the verge of death metal? Locust Spawning. You want murder ballads? Graveflower and Dead Girl. A hypnotic beautiful song that will take you to another world? New Death Sensation and Venus Blue. You want a hard rocking groove oriented song? Paegan Love Song and Bleed Me an Ocean.

I have yet to hear anything like this album. For me is perfect. If youre a fan of Alice in Chains, Pantera, Tool, Down, Eyehategod, Crowbar, Kyuss, Soundgarden, or any of these type of heavy bands, I suggest you check this album out and buy it.

reddoggblues

Reaction score
I remember being very pleasantly surprised by this album. Big step up from their debut in terms of songwriting and originality. These guys really stuck out in the NOLA metal scene and in the entire (then) contemporary (shitty) metal scene in general by not being afraid to inject some melody and subtlety into their approach. Too bad that their time was cut short as I'm sure DAX and company would have only got more idiosyncratic.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
I remember being very pleasantly surprised by this album. Big step up from their debut in terms of songwriting and originality. These guys really stuck out in the NOLA metal scene and in the entire (then) contemporary (shitty) metal scene in general by not being afraid to inject some melody and subtlety into their approach. Too bad that their time was cut short as I'm sure DAX and company would have only got more idiosyncratic.

I agree with everything you said. They still sound fresh even when listening to the album today and comparing it to what has come out. I really wish they had more material.

Born to Lose

Reaction score
Acid Bath is absolutely great. Coming from someone who generally isnt interested in metal. One of the most underrated heavy metal bands ever, IMO.

Metal Head Mike

Reaction score
Now I'm a big fan of Acid Bath. Really loved there 2 albums. Man I wish they could've had more. But this is one hell of a release. Great review

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online