ABBA - Voulez Vous (1979)

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
At the tail end of disco's popularity there was at least one candle burning to keep it in the charts for just a while longer - and it was held by four glamorous pop superstars from Sweden. These four individuals consisted of:

Agnetha Fältskog

Agnetha+Fltskog+agmmm1a.jpg

Anni-Frid "Frida" Lyngstad

1CADC31C8CF7818EB574C6B29B369A.jpg

Björn Ulvaeus

image0001.jpg

Benny Andersson

Benny+Andersson.jpg

Collectively, they were known throughout the world as ABBA. And if you weren't aware before, they were (and continue to be) an absolute sensation. When it came time to record their sixth album, they had already taken the world by storm - their singles and previous albums had hit no. 1 in several different countries, and they were not about to be forgotten.

"Voulez Vous" was backed by a menagerie of studio musicians to develop its enormous sound. By the time this review concludes I hope to appeal to the tastes of even those who disregard disco music. Here's a breakdown of a 70s pop staple, which was written entirely by Benny and Björn.

Note: This is a review of the tracks from the original LP. The album has seen many re-issues with bonus tracks that I may or may not post later on in the thread. For now, this is the album, as-is.

ABBA - "Voulez Vous" (1979)

ABBA_Voulez_Vous.jpg

"As Good as New" opens with a bit of a funky string-section, leading into a heavy bass and a skanky guitar. Its sound flourishes with synthesizers galore, without losing the sick bassline already established, but definitely takes a backseat to Agnetha's vocals.Take a listen to this brilliantly soupy love song.

Agnetha's voice is stunning. One thing in particular to note with many songs on this album is that every member of the group is singing at some point.

The album leads into its title track rather early in the game. Not coincidentally, the single was a smash. It was the only track of ABBA's to ever have been released as a dance remix on the side (otherwise known as a 12" promo). With guitars, synthesizers, and a heavy bassline, "Voulez-Vous" is sure to encourage a good handclap throughout its chorus. There's even a saxophone.

One of the less disco-y tracks on the album is called "I Have a Dream". It's a track for the virtuous restless hearts in all of us. Though very soft in nature (some may call it "cheesy" perhaps) it's almost sure to be a tireless brainworm even for the strongest. It appears to open with a distorted sitar-esque instrument. Frida is on lead vocals. If anything, it's actually a very impressive display of vocal magnitude of the entire group.

One of my favourite tracks on the album follows this ABBA ballad: "Angeleyes". Both Frida and Agnetha are on vocals.

One of the problems with the song's release as a single is that it had to compete with a completely unrelated song of the same title: Roxy Music's "Angel Eyes". Be advised that both songs are of an entirely different nature. (Though, personally, I love them both.)

"Angeleyes" is an extremely upbeat track (which is very common for ABBA) with a cautionary tale in the lyrics about a woman whose ex is no good - and she wants to warn his new girl not to gaze too far into his hypnotic stare, lest she get trapped. It's not an extremely bass-heavy track; I'd personally call it "disco-lite". However, with all the instruments in there, you can barely tell there's a piano in there somewhere.

The conclusion to side A of the album, "The King Has Lost His Crown" is where it starts to sound like your old cassette collection. You know what I mean. It's another "disco-lite" type of track, with lots of inoffensive synthesizer effects as it opens. However, it's very bass-heavy as it leads in. Frida's voice is very tender, drawing into a powerful chorus. It's very much a filler track on the album, but worth a listen.

Side B of "Voulez Vous" will follow shortly.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Re: ABBA - "Voulez Vous" (1979)

Good stuff. I've always enjoyed Abba. :)

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score

Side B opens up with a rollicking hell of a song: "Does Your Mother Know" is an homage to young girls stepping into the adult world (and the potential dangers that await their innocent and naive minds). The song is sung by Björn, who occasionally sang lead on rare occasions. The style is very similar to that of the 60s, with a much older man resisting the temptation of a much younger girl.

With the entire group's vocal participation, a fat bass, and a serious bar room piano, this is a song not to be forgotten. It's followed by my personal favourite from the album, "If It Wasn't For the Nights".

With Agnetha on lead vocals, this is what proper euro disco is all about. Heavy bass, light effects, and effortless transitions. Opening with a piano, it glides into a heavenly array of sounds. Have a listen.

The second and last ballad from this album follows, entitled "Chiquitita". Though the chorus is swinging, upbeat, and everything a person could ever want out of an ABBA single, the lyrics tell a tale of someone trying to console their friend, who has been broken by life and needs someone there to tell her it's going to be alright. Lend an ear to Agnetha's tenderness. She'll make everything turn out fine.

It's a very piano-heavy track, for the ivory lovers who are reading this. My second-favourite track from this album follows: "Lovers (Live a Little Longer)". It's another fine example of just what euro-disco should sound like when done right. It's a fabulous tune for night-driving; the song has a bassline a disco-lover could groove to forever. Flawless vocals, perfect articulation, and grooviness galore.

"Voulez Vous" closes with a bit of a filler track, at best: "Kisses of Fire".

As with many ABBA songs, this particular track begins softly, and rolls into a full-force blitz of pop madness.

The lyrics are very simple and the song gets a bit repetitive at times. It is a pleasant listen, but (personally, at least) a bit of a disappointing closer.

Though my opinion may be slightly biased due to my incredible admiration for ABBA, on a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being "crap" to 10 being "buy it immediately") I give this album a 7.5. Overall it's an uplifting listen for anyone who needs a little light shot into their heart at full wattage, but the highest points of the album are not as numerous as previous ABBA records.

Personal favourites: "If It Wasn't For the Nights"; "Angeleyes"; "Lovers (Live a Little Longer)"

Usually skip: "Kisses of Fire"

Most uplifting: "As Good As New"; "I Have A Dream"; "Chiquitita"

A little personal input: This is my go-to record when I'm sad. Recently I found that my copy has grown concave and may need replacement, but then I downloaded the album so I've got something handy to get my fix whenever necessary. It has definitely come in handy many times in my life (as has their music in general) but I sincerely suggest that if you're having a terrible day, listen to this album. You might not fall in love with the whole wide world again, like I do when I hear it, but you'll certainly feel something.

Questions/comments/photos/extra tracks are welcome for the remainder of this thread's lifespan. As always, thanks for reading.

ANF

Reaction score

the best tracks off this album IMO are the non-hits. The smashes never did anything for me, but stuff like As Good As New, If It Wasn't For The Nights, Kisses Of Fire and The King Has Lost His Crown are absolutely ace.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online