1713409069598.jpeg

A Foot In Coldwater - A Foot In Coldwater

1972 - Daffodil(Canada)

- Alex Machin / vocals
- Paul Naumann / guitars, vocals
- Bob Horne / organ, keyboards
- Hughie Leggat / bass, vocals
- Danny Taylor / drums

Formed in Toronto back in 1971 with the demise of the psychedelic band, Nucleus which released only one album in 1969 with very little success(warranted). Three members of Nucleus, Leggat, Horne, and Taylor teamed up with fellow Torontonians Alex Machin and Paul Naumann to form A Foot In Coldwater. an ole' English slang for bad luck.

Obviously AFIC is heavily influenced by Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple especially the the vocals of Alex Machin which are a amalgam of Plant and Gillian. Some tracks contain a bombardment of the Hammond B3 organ comparable to jon Lord's heavy hammering on "In Rock". Unfortunately the band does meander into mainstream melodic rock realm on a few tracks.

1. On The Wind: A straight ahead hard rocker.

2. Yallae Yae: The devil is deceiving. Don't let the title fool ya.

3. Deep Freeze: A blow-torcher.

4. (Make Me Do) Anything You Want: I'm not much for ballads but this track is sparkling. Fantastic acoustic strings accompanied by a Mellotron and at times with the Hammond. The guitar solo is exceptional. The song actually charted twice here in Canada.

5. Who Can Stop Us Now: More of a mainstream melodic hard rocker without slipping into the AOR arena.

6. Alone Together: Did I say, "AOR?"

7. Fallen Man: A laid back acoustic number with some electric elements. Not bad. Maybe nice might be sufficient.

8. In Heat: Hotter than hell!

Rating: 8/10

AFIC released their second album aptly titled, "A Second Foot In Coldwater" in 1973. The band started the sacrilegious shift to the piddly pedestrian path. The album does contain probably their best track, "Mose Into E & Love Is Coming" which has one of the best intros I've heard followed by one hell of wollup. AFIC put an ass-kickin' on April Wine and BTO back in the early '70's.

*It's been about 6 years since I've done a album review. I've kept it simple. I'm getting older.

scarabus

Reaction score
I've got 2 lp's of AFICW.
Second Foot In Cold water and a promo version of All Around Us. The last one had a sticker "not for sale" on it , but it was for sale in a record store in Amsterdam.
Thought both albums were pretty good. I'm a Deep Purple fan by the way.

Have to revisit them this weekend.

Reactions: joe

joe

Reaction score
I've got 2 lp's of AFICW.
Second Foot In Cold water and a promo version of All Around Us. The last one had a sticker "not for sale" on it , but it was for sale in a record store in Amsterdam.
Thought both albums were pretty good. I'm a Deep Purple fan by the way.

Have to revisit them this weekend.

Their second album has two hard rock tracks. "All Around Us" contains some re-recorded tracks from their first two albums plus 6 new songs. This was their US debut.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online