70s soft rock song that nobody can identify. Recorded on Chicago radio.

buildist

Reaction score

This short recording has gotten some attention recently. It was recorded off the radio in Chicago in the 70s, possibly WXRT or WBBM. Does anyone recognize it?

buildist

Reaction score
Much more info from a post on reddit today, also a slightly longer snippet and a remastered one.

LINK TO THE SNIPPET

REMASTER

This snippet was taped off the radio from a Chicago, IL-area radio station back in the '70s.

This snippet of the song is all that we have. According to the original uploader of the song, it is a small part of a full-length-song that possibly broadcasted on WBBM-FM;

If it was in the early '70s - it would be during the era when the station was branded as "Stereo 96 WBBM-FM"

If it was in the middle to the late '70s - it would be during the era when the station was playing contemporary music but without the harder-edged titles. During that time, the station was commonly referred to as "The Mellow Sound of Chicago". [SEE HERE]

The next most-likely source would be WXRT, also in Chicago.

In regard to WXRT, we have already forwarded the song to the marketing director for XRT who in return shared the song amongst his colleagues. Terri Hemmert, a popular radio personality, had also been contacted about the song. Sadly, she could not identify it.

According to the original uploader, he used to tape his favorite songs off the radio. Sometimes, he'd catch the full-song. In this case, as he was listening to this song, he realized that the song was actually great. Unfortunately, he only managed to hit the record button in time to catch the last 50-seconds of it. Solving this case by identifying the title/author of this song would mean a lot to him.

In the current state, the song is almost entirely lost. Attempt(s) at identifying the song by throwing it through Shazam and other song-identifying apps proved fruitless.
  • The first mention of the song dates back to early 2017.
  • The genre is probably soft-rock or folk-rock.

• The OP is not sure if it's from a regional or a national band.

• The original uploader doubts this was a commercial or a station jingle. He was rather picky with which songs he would record off the radio, and he surely wouldn't have recorded the song if it was part of a commercial.

• He also heavily doubt this was part of a religious/Christian rock. Again, he wouldn't have recorded it if that was the case.

The most widely accepted lyrics are "some are part of laughing and sometimes part of crying. We are part of it all. I keep looking for that sunset I don't know when it'll be". Due to the song being of such low-quality, those lyrics could be a little off.

Despite the low quality of the only snippet we have, it seems like the sound of the actual song is full, tight, and a very particular arrangement and production style.

I appreciate any assistance you can offer in this regard.

The tracklist for the tape's B-side containing the mysterious song - (not reliable as the OP would copy songs from tape to tape (as a way to edit out some of the songs he didn't want to keep).

:00: Henry Gross - Fly Away (1973)

1:57: Kingfish - This Time (1976)

5:36: The Doobie Brothers - South City Midnight Lady (1973)

7:32: Richie Furay - Gettin' Through (1976)

9:50: Brewer & Shipley - It Did Me In (1974)

12:10: The Eagles - Doolin-Dalton/Desesperado (Reprise) (1973)

16:32: Don McLean - Happy Trails (1973)

16:51: Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman (1968)

19:14: Fairport Convention - Restless (1975)

22:03: Bryan Bowers - The View From Home (1977)

24:13: Pacific Steel Company - Spittin' Image (1978)(Not Shazamable)

26:02: The Eagles - Already Gone (1974)

28:18: Rod MacDonald - The Cross Country Waltz (1987)

30:48: Bonnie Koloc - We Are Ships (1982) (9 Shazams)

34:30: Nanci Griffith - Love In A Memory (1987)

37:40: Jim Post - I Love My Life (1978)

40:04: The Souther-Hillman-Furay Band - Rise And Fall (1974)

42:21: Paul Mauriat - Love Is Blue (1968)

44:48: Unknown song (I Keep Looking) (?)

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Staff online

Members online