70s Prog-Rock Bands Fronted By Female Vocalists?

GeorgeCarlinFan

Reaction score
I'm going to be specific, because I've listened and know many. I love singers who sing in a high-register (Jane Relf), songs in a slower-tempo. Always liked prog w/ a touch of Middle-Eastern scales... Let me just name my favorites, lol.

-Curved Air
-Illusion
-Carol of Harvest
-Mellow Candle
-Earth & Fire
-Savage Rose
-Fairport Convention
-Sandrose
-Stairway
-Renaissance
-Fantasy (US band from Florida)
-Spirogyra
-Mother Superior
-Babe Ruth
-Lily & Maria
-Comus
-Fotheringay
-The Strawbs
-Trees
-Pentangle
-Steeleye Span
-Empire
-Bran
-Apoteosi

I also know Frumpy, Cano, Catherine Laara, Marillion, Mr Fox, Bread, Love & Dreams, Midwinter, These Trails, Hoelderlin Traum, Can Am Des Puig, turid, Lai and Mike Waterson, Sally Oldfield, Haizea, Elly & Rikkert, Lily & Maria, Banda do casaca, Carmen, Las Grecac is probably more prog-pop, which is also fine.... I don't most would consider Yoshiko Sai, but I'd check out her 70s albums, including the live one on YouTube.

70sProgFan

Reaction score
Fusion Orchestra

Fronted by Jill Saward who went on to front Brandy for a year, before becoming a session singer, and then on to Citizen Gang before joining Shakatak from 1980 onwards where she has enjoyed 35 years plus of continuous success.
They were very prog-jazz-funk-psych and produced just the one album but it's an absolute classic and very hard to find on vinyl unless - like me - you opt for a modern blood red re-press.
i had an original vinyl from back in 1974 but got rid when I picked it up on CD.
Idiot!

Saward was a truly sexy rock-chick and they got some great press.
Saw the band in 1974 - this is what I've said about them.

You must be registered for see images attach

GeorgeCarlinFan

Reaction score
Fusion Orchestra

Fronted by Jill Saward who went on to front Brandy for a year, before becoming a session singer, and then on to Citizen Gang before joining Shakatak from 1980 onwards where she has enjoyed 35 years plus of continuous success.
They were very prog-jazz-funk-psych and produced just the one album but it's an absolute classic and very hard to find on vinyl unless - like me - you opt for a modern blood red re-press.
i had an original vinyl from back in 1974 but got rid when I picked it up on CD.
Idiot!

Saward was a truly sexy rock-chick and they got some great press.
Saw the band in 1974 - this is what I've said about them.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks and what a reminder! I was at the 26 minute mark.. Need to re-wind it and re-listen. Cheers!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ronman189

Staff online

Members online