53rd Annual Grammy nominations

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
"Eminem Leads 53rd GRAMMY Nominations
Eminem earns 10 nods; Bruno Mars scores seven; and Jay-Z, Lady Antebellum and Lady Gaga each garner six

Nominations for the 53rd Annual GRAMMY Awards were announced tonight by The Recording Academy and reflected an eclectic mix of the best and brightest in music over the past year as determined by the voting members of The Academy. For the third year, nominations for the annual GRAMMY Awards were announced on primetime television as part of "The GRAMMY Nominations Concert Live!! — Countdown To Music's Biggest Night" a one-hour special broadcast live on CBS from Club Nokia at L.A. Live.

Eminem topped the nominations with 10; Bruno Mars garnered seven; and Jay-Z, Lady Antebellum, and Lady Gaga each earned six nods. Jeff Beck, B.o.B, David Frost, Philip Lawrence, and John Legend received five each; and Alex Da Kid, the Black Keys, Drake, Cee Lo Green, Ari Levine, Katy Perry, Rihanna, the Roots, Dirk Sobotka, and Zac Brown each earned four nominations.

"This year's nominations are a true reflection of an exceptional and talented community of music makers that embody some of the highest levels of excellence and artistry in their respective fields," said Neil Portnow, President/CEO of The Recording Academy. "It is most gratifying to see the GRAMMY Awards process once again produce a broad cross section of diverse and impressive nominees across multiple genres. Coupled with the third year of our primetime nominations special, the road to Music's Biggest Night, the 53rd Annual GRAMMY Awards in February, is off to an exciting start."

Following are the nominations in the four General Field categories:

Record Of The Year:
"Nothin' On You," B.o.B Featuring Bruno Mars
"Love The Way You Lie," Eminem Featuring Rihanna
"F*** You," Cee Lo Green
"Empire State Of Mind," Jay-Z & Alicia Keys
"Need You Now," Lady Antebellum

Album Of The Year:
The Suburbs, Arcade Fire
Recovery, Eminem
Need You Now, Lady Antebellum
The Fame Monster, Lady Gaga
Teenage Dream, Katy Perry

Song Of The Year:
"Beg Steal Or Borrow," Ray LaMontagne, songwriter (Ray LaMontagne And The Pariah Dogs)
"F*** You," Cee Lo Green, Philip Lawrence & Bruno Mars, songwriters (Cee Lo Green)
"The House That Built Me," Tom Douglas & Allen Shamblin, songwriters (Miranda Lambert)
"Love The Way You Lie," Alexander Grant, Skylar Grey & Marshall Mathers, songwriters (Eminem Featuring Rihanna)
"Need You Now," Dave Haywood, Josh Kear, Charles Kelley & Hillary Scott, songwriters (Lady Antebellum)

Best New Artist:
Justin Bieber
Drake
Florence & The Machine
Mumford & Sons
Esperanza Spalding

Following is a sampling of nominations from the GRAMMY Awards' other 29 Fields:

For Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals, the nominees are "Airplanes, Part II" by B.o.B, Eminem & Hayley Williams; "Imagine" by Herbie Hancock, Pink, India.Arie, Seal, Konono No. 1, Jeff Beck & Oumou Sangare; "If It Wasn't For Bad" by Elton John & Leon Russell; "Telephone" by Lady Gaga & Beyoncé; and "California Gurls" by Katy Perry & Snoop Dogg.

Nominees for Best Dance Recording are "Rocket" by Goldfrapp; "In For The Kill" by La Roux; "Dance In The Dark" by Lady Gaga; "Only Girl (In The World)" by Rihanna; and "Dancing On My Own" by Robyn.

For Best Rock Song, the nominees are "Angry World" by Neil Young, songwriter (Neil Young); "Little Lion Man" by Ted Dwane, Ben Lovett, Marcus Mumford & Country Winston, songwriters (Mumford & Sons); "Radioactive" by Caleb Followill, Jared Followill, Matthew Followill & Nathan Followill, songwriters (Kings Of Leon); "Resistance" by Matthew Bellamy, songwriter (Muse); and "Tighten Up" by Dan Auerbach & Patrick Carney, songwriters (The Black Keys).

The nominees for Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals are "Take My Time" by Chris Brown & Tank; "Love" by Chuck Brown, Jill Scott & Marcus Miller; "You've Got A Friend" by Ronald Isley & Aretha Franklin; "Shine" by John Legend & The Roots; and "Soldier Of Love" by Sade.

Nominations in the Best Rap/Sung Collaboration are "Nothin' On You" by B.o.B Featuring Bruno Mars; "Deuces" by Chris Brown, Tyga & Kevin McCall; "Love The Way You Lie" by Eminem & Rihanna; "Empire State Of Mind" by Jay-Z & Alicia Keys; and "Wake Up! Everybody" by John Legend, The Roots, Melanie Fiona & Common.

The Best Country Song nominees are "The Breath You Take" by Casey Beathard, Dean Dillon & Jessie Jo Dillon, songwriters (George Strait); "Free" by Zac Brown, songwriter (Zac Brown Band); "The House That Built Me" by Tom Douglas & Allen Shamblin, songwriters (Miranda Lambert); "I'd Love To Be Your Last" by Rivers Rutherford, Annie Tate & Sam Tate, songwriters (Gretchen Wilson); "If I Die Young" by Kimberly Perry, songwriter (The Band Perry); "Need You Now" by Dave Haywood, Josh Kear, Charles Kelley & Hillary Scott, songwriters (Lady Antebellum).

Nominees for Best Americana Album are The List by Rosanne Cash; Tin Can Trust by Los Lobos; Country Music by Willie Nelson; Band Of Joy by Robert Plant; and You Are Not Alone by Mavis Staples.

This year's Producer Of The Year, Non-Classical nominees are Rob Cavallo, Danger Mouse, Dr. Luke, RedOne, and the Smeezingtons (Bruno Mars, Philip Lawrence, Ari Levine)."

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^After reading all that I can see I won't be missing anything by not watching(or caring about) the Grammy's this year.

Not to condemn all new bands, or deserving artists but mainstream music seems to be in dire straits from where I stand.

Reaction score
There's actually a few in there that I like:eek::heheh:

Zac Brown isn't bad, neither is Lady Antibellum or Kings Of Leon, and Elton John and Leon Russels' song isn't too bad either IMO.. It's actually looking up this year:grinthumb

Reaction score
Never was a fan of the Grammy's.

I guess if you're a kid, this will be a big deal.

It's something to watch on TV.. I never pay much attention or really care, it's kind of cool when someone you like gets on there, though:grinthumb

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
I'll watch it with my my clicker in hand to run from the bad performances but am happy to see

Album Of The Year:
The Suburbs, Arcade Fire

which means they will perform and

Song Of The Year:
"Beg Steal Or Borrow," Ray LaMontagne, songwriter (Ray LaMontagne And The Pariah Dogs)

Best New Artist:
Florence & The Machine
Mumford & Sons

I doubt any of them will win in these catagories just like the last several years the only categories a care about are never shown live.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
It's something to watch on TV.. I never pay much attention or really care, it's kind of cool when someone you like gets on there, though:grinthumb

Neil Young and Jeff Beck are up for Grammy's, but sitting through Jay Z and Eminem and Lady Gaga and others, isn't worth it.

I think I'd rather have root canal.
:heheh:

Plus, Neil Young doesn't deserve a grammy for his last effort.

And no offence, to Leon Russell, but seen him perform live a few weeks back with Elton John on TV - and he sounded bad. Elton too - but, he lost his vocals a long time ago.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time I watched the Grammy's, maybe in the late late 70's...I don't pay any attention to them anymore.

I would have more respect/interest in what our members here in CRF think about artists/bands that deserve some recognition, either old or new.:grinthumb

Bryter Later

Reaction score
:D Well L.G this may not come as too much of a surprise,but I definetly think that Florence & the Machine deserve the Best New Artist award :bow:.

:cheers2 Bryter :cheers2

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I remember you have a thread about them Bryter, I also like "Lady Antebellum" Magic introduced me to them a few months ago.

I am always behind on newer groups and depend on all of you to keep me up to date as much as possible.:cheers:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online