311 (Official Thread)

Reaction score
I wasn't quite sure what section to put them in because they started in 1989, released their first "official" studio album in 1993, and have recorded steadily up until their latest album, Uplifter, released in 2009, and they still have an album to be released in 2011..

90s seemed to be their greatest success, So, here they are, I give to you.. 311

311.jpg

Formed in Omaha, Nebraska in 1989, Named three-eleven because that was the town's police code for indecent exposure..
They released 3 independent albums in the early 90s, until they were signed to Capricorn records in 1993 for their first official release, "Music."
They have released 8 albums since then, and they have another album scheduled to be released in 2011.
Their sound has influences of ska and raggae, alternative, funk, hard rock, metal, classic rock, and even rap.
The band is made up of of Nick Hexum, S.A. Martinez, P-Nut, Tim Mahoney, and Chad Sexton

Their albums released:
Dammit! (1989) (released by What Have You Records, <300 copies)
Unity (1990) (released by What Have You Records, <1000 copies)
Hydroponic (1991) (released by What Have You Records, <1000 copies)
Music (1993)
Grassroots (1994)
311 (1995)
Transistor (1997)
Live (1998)
Omaha Sessions (1998)
Soundsystem (1999)
From Chaos (2001)
Evolver (2003)
Don't Tread on Me (2005)
Uplifter (2009)
Untitled Tenth Studio Album (2011)

I have always liked the song "All Mixed Up" but never really pursued them more, until I heard "Hey You" on the Alternative station of Music Choice on Verizon Fios TV, a few nights ago:heheh:
I listened to the rest of the album Uplifter and was amazed.. This album is excellent, and I am working on expanding my collection of their material, and this is just a great band.. Creative, solid musicianship, solid production, and awesome songs.. what more could you ask for?:D

311_Dont_Tread_on_Me-1.jpg311.jpg
*Some aesthetic help from Harkat:D*

Harkat

Reaction score
Re: Official 311 Thread

Need some songs ;)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Wow! They have a lot more albums than I thought! I have the self titled one but didn't go beyond that! I've like all their singles though, particularly All Mixed Up, Down (first song I've heard) and thought their Cure cover of Lovesong was well done and they made it their own with the reggae vibe. They have a cool fusion of sounds and I should pick up another album by them at some point! :grinthumb

Reaction score

Wow! They have a lot more albums than I thought! I have the self titled one but didn't go beyond that! I've like all their singles though, particularly All Mixed Up, Down (first song I've heard) and thought their Cure cover of Lovesong was well done and they made it their own with the reggae vibe. They have a cool fusion of sounds and I should pick up another album by them at some point! :grinthumb

I thought the same thing up until I heard "Hey You" a few nights ago.. I thought they were sort of another 90s band that came and faded, but I haven't found a song that seems like it lacks effort or anything, which is HUGE to me:grinthumb

Uplifter, Soundsystem, and their self titled are the ones I've listened to so far.. And honestly, I'd give Uplifter a try.. it's excellent IMO:D

Here's Hey You

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Hey You isn't a bad song man! It's a little less rock and more laid back reggae than the self titled debut! They are a cool group to chill too! :grinthumb

Reaction score

Hey You isn't a bad song man! It's a little less rock and more laid back reggae than the self titled debut! They are a cool group to chill too! :grinthumb

That song actually reminds me of BTO's "Hey You", by the structure:heheh:
Completely, completely different tunes, but they both have the more laid back sections, then powerhouse choruses.. And there are some songs on the album that pick it up quite a bit, almost too heavy for my usual tastes, but they just barely don't push over the top, so I need to be in the right mood, but when I am in the right mood, they are powerful:guitar:

They also take it down pretty slow with "Golden Sunlight":D

The one thing that I think pulls me over for almost all of their songs are the vocal harmonies.. You can probably tell that I'm an absolute sucker for them with my taste for 70s country rock:D

Reaction score

Two of my favorites from the S/T album, then a very rap-y number from the same album.. hopefully it will showcase the bands diversity

Don't Stay Home

Hive

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Somebody give me their best album recommendation, and I'll give them a listen...:grinthumb

Reaction score

@Greg - They seem like they would be, just from the footage I've seen on youtube.. If they come around I'd really like to see them:grinthumb

Somebody give me their best album recommendation, and I'll give them a listen...:grinthumb

You'd probably like their newest one, Uplifter the best from what I've heard LG.. The others have a fairly strong rap influence in many of the songs:heheh:

This one has more rock and reggae in it.. Stay away from the CD, Soundsystem, LG:tongue::lmao:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online