Reaction score
30 Seconds To Mars
30secs.jpg

30 Seconds to Mars Official Website

Albums:

30 Seconds to Mars (2002)
A Beautiful Lie (2005)
This Is War (2009)

Here's a group that shouldn't have worked. The first thing is that their frontman was originally an actor. A good one IMO especially for his role in Requiem For A Dream. Regardless, actors turned musicians rarely ever work out. This is the exception! They even did this without promoting it as Jareds group and I think most of the audience who bought the debut:

30_Seconds_to_Mars_album_cover.jpg

had a clue who the frontman was originally but the heavy, futuristic space rock sound came out as a fresh sound at the time and 30STM became a heat seeking band with potential to be big!

Here's the single:

Capricorn (A New Name)

I own the two great albums below:

A Beautiful Lie
album-a-beautiful-lie.jpg

From Yesterday
(my favorite single from them)

The Kill

Attack

Hunter
(really cool Bjork cover)

A Modern Myth
(great acoustic closer)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: "The Official" 30 Seconds To Mars Thread

This Is War
(Epic Anthems On Every Track of this)

618I0ot27QL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Favorite Tracks:

Kings and Queens

Vox Populi

Hurricane

Night Of The Hunter

Alibi
(Beautiful)

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

The Sooty one doesn't own the debut? That's my favourite and Capricorn is my favourite song by them! :grinthumb I also really like Lifeless (A rarely tasteful use of growling), 93 Million Miles and Buddha For Mary off the debut, which just happens to be one of my longest listened to albums of all, I started listening to it when my brother showed it to me around 2006.

The second album however, I didn't like as much. Personally, I felt they lost the space-metal brilliance than won me over the first time around, and had turned into more of a plain metal band which although had nice melodies and great singing as always, kinda bored me.

But then the third album came, and it was here that I was 1000% more educated and enjoying music. It was also here that I realised they weren't space metal, but eclectic metal. I first heard the leading single "Kings And Queens" on TV at 4am, and it blew me away. I remember thinking "Who is this band? Are they new?" and being gobsmacked when the song information came up as 30STM. It was, as you say, a killer anthem, and that song single handedly rekindled the band for me. Then I downloaded the new album shortly after it was released and I was pleased to know that each track was of the same epic quality, and I particularly liked L490, Closer To The Edge, This Is War and Search And Destroy. The album has left me wanting more and I very much look forward to what they have in store for us in the future! :D

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I've tried to get into 30 Seconds to Mars several times and they've never quite clicked with me, HOWEVER there is one song that I've heard from them that I really like and that is "The Kill". I think that song is a spectacular piece of music and I'd rank it as one of the top alternative songs of the last decade. It's that good. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

@ Sal, I guess we are into opposite ends of the spectrum as when I tried to get into the debut I couldn't for whatever reason but I love the sophomore album. Those are just opinion points though and hey we agree the most recent one is great so cool beans! :) The one thing I don't follow you on is how the Sophomore doesn't sound that space rock! :D It has that atmosphere in spades for my ears!

@ Cosmic-The Kill is a good song but I seem to feel that this is a band you would normally like. Have you listened to it outside of singles and away from the screeching of teenyboppers who love Leto in order to judge it on it's own merits? :heheh:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I took a fancy to A Modern Myth. I love the single cello in it!

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

It does have an atmosphere alright, but compared to the first album it just paled in comparison on the space front. The first one was literally like walking into a Sci Fi, and as well as that I have very fond memories of playing the spaceship based video game "Freelancer" while listening to it.

And yes, This Is War is nearly a prog metal album, I love how they explore different avenues and styles of music throughout the constant metal sound, it makes it a lot more enjoyable to me how it's so different to the first two.

I think we can both agree that Jared Leto's vocals are amazing in all of 30STM's music though! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Just picked up a copy of A Beautiful Life today and am listening now. It's good. :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

@ Cosmic-The Kill is a good song but I seem to feel that this is a band you would normally like. Have you listened to it outside of singles and away from the screeching of teenyboppers who love Leto in order to judge it on it's own merits? :heheh:

Well I'll admit that probably about half of my exposure to this band is through teenyboppers gobbing over Jared Leto but I have actually tried to listen to their songs outside of that. Songs like "Alibi" and "A Modern Myth" are cool and I think they're alright but "The Kill" is the only song from them I can say that I love from 30 Seconds to Mars. I haven't heard their entire catalog though.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Seems I've had some change of heart. I've grown to love "Alibi" considerably. :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online