Register to remove these ads

26 Viacom Channels Go Dark On DirecTV

Discussion in 'Movies / Television' started by Fever, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Fever

Fever Senior Member

Due to a contract dispute Viacom has pulled their channels off DirecTV. I don't watch a lot of Viacom channels,but I did watch TVLand,VH1Classic and Spike.And I am sure I might have watched some shows off the other channels.
    The only reason I have DirecTV is because they are the only place to get the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Viacom, DirecTV talks fail; 26 channels go dark | ZDNet

2. LG

LG Fade To Black

That happens with my Cable provider quite often Fever, well not pulling channels outright but "moving" them from the basic to more expensive packages.

I've always thought that practice was dodgy, I am paying for the service and in this day and age you should send me a "menu" and let me pick and choose only the ones I want. This bundling BS has gone on so long it's like a syndicate operation now and seems entrenched.

Hell I would even accept that I have to pay for 2 or 3 French only channels, part of living here unfortunately but after that I should have the right to pay for only what I want.

Been a scam for 40 years now and I see no signs of it changing. I considered Satellite but they offer bundles as well...not sure if you can just custom fit what they offer to what you want...:think:

3. AboutAGirl

AboutAGirl oh, be nice

While I watch Disney and TBS more often (since I have all the best Nick and Comedy Central series on DVD already), this would have been quite devastating for me. Viacom is far and away my favorite television corporation, mainly for Nickelodeon.

Luckily I don't have DirecTV!

But it's really pretty sad. Everything Viacom has been doing for the last year or two has been designed to kill the company. I don't know why they want to destroy such a lucrative business but with every new move they make it becomes more and more clear that they are indeed trying. I could give you a long list of things they're doing to decimate viewership, which in turn decimates advertising, which in turn is destined to cripple the company.

It's sad. Nick's been the highest-rated kid's network for 20 years and in a couple years' time they've changed that, now it's second to Disney and even Cartoon Network is gaining ground. If they keep it up Viacom might not even exist in five or ten years. They'll have to sell off all their assets if they keep doing such a good job of throwing money away.