Register to remove these ads

2019: Closing out 3 epic stories

Discussion in 'Movies / Television' started by Lynch, Apr 23, 2019.

Is there one franchise that you will miss the most?

1. Star Wars

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Game of Thrones

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. The Avengers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Can't choose, love them all!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Meh, not really a fan of any of them.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lynch

Lynch Rockin' Out

upload_2019-4-23_5-15-48.png

In 2019, there will be 3 MAJOR, epic stories that will be closing out.

• Star Wars
    • Game of Thrones
    • The Avengers

I'm a huge fan of all 3. I don't know which one I'm going to be happiest or saddest to be ending. All three are very different from each other.

Star Wars: 9 regular, full length "Episodes", along with 2 side-story full length films. Several animated series spanning many years. The start of this saga began 42 years ago. I'm sure there will be some continued extension (via animated series, other one-shot films, etc) but the mainline story should be finished when Episode 9 comes out next winter.

Game of Thrones: One of the biggest and most popular television series of all time. The 8th season will complete in May of this year. Too many things to list about this series to even put into a summary.

The Avengers: Back in 2008, when Disney/Marvel Studios created the MCU, who would have guessed it would be as successful as it became? 22 movies later, the "third phase" of Marvel Studios films will be released this week. Thankfully, Marvel was smart enough to write a formula that will keep DC scrambling for years in attempts to replicate, both in popularity as well as revenue. The MCU will be continuing on into "phase four", but team that was built from standalone movies starting back in 2008 appears to be getting decimated. We've been told many times in the past year since Avengers 3 came out that there would be casualties and not everyone is going to be happy with them.

Is there one of these three franchises that you are going to miss more than the other two?

2. BikerDude

BikerDude Dude

Are you sure about Star Wars?
    Disney paid a heap of cash for that.
    I would think they'd keep that going forever.

If I had to pick I'd pick Star Wars although the only one I really like a lot was the first (er third I mean) way back in the 70's. After that they started with the muppits and lost me.

I personally hope we can get past all the comic book stuff.
    It is using up way too much oxygen IMO.
    I miss real movies. You know. The Godfather, The Deer Hunter, The Sting, Unforgiven etc etc.
    I'm dating myself.
    The studios are just throwing all their efforts into where they make the most cash but cmon.
    Enough already.

I watched half an episode of Game of Thrones once. So I can't really comment.

Update: The next Star Wars is the last of the episodes that George Lucas intended to make.
    After the next it will be all new plots rather than the ones outline by GL. I seriously doubt it will be going away. They have way too much money invested in the name. They are billing episode 9 as "The End of The Skywalker Saga". Which is true to Lucas' plan. But it doesn't mean that the Star Wars franchise is going anywhere.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a19604748/mark-hamill-george-lucas-star-wars-ending/

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  3. Lynch

Lynch Rockin' Out

Yep, I kind of said that. Was referring to E9 being the close out to the original vision that Lucas had 47-48 years ago when he first started scripting/writing.

I know that they have a couple of one-shots in development and I'm sure they'll continue with more animated series.

Best thing we can hope for from Disney is that they dump that idiot Kathleen Kennedy. She may be the second worst thing that happened to the Star Wars universe, other than the complete pile of shit known as Rian Johnson. Jar Jar Abrams has also done nothing to impress me so far. E7 wasn't horrible, but it also wasn't good. We'll see how he does with E9.

Honestly, I really liked Rogue One. Not so much the characters, but just the basic story. The homage that was paid to the original film in short/quick scenes really got my inner nerd smiling. And there wasn't time wasted on a stupid love-interest story that would have been 100% unnecessary/unneeded. Solo had potential but fell flat. Decent film, but most of it wasn't very memorable. E8 was poop, pure and simple. So much potential that was a train wreck from start to finish, a few scenes aside.

4. BikerDude

BikerDude Dude

Yeah I liked Rogue One also.
    The hardcore SW fans (dorks) didn't like it.
    Solo sucked.
    I didn't mind the last SW flick when I saw it in the theaters with my kids (who loved it).
    I was surprised by how much it was hated.
    Then I watched it on Netflix. I couldn't make it through it.
    It did suck.

5. ~Banshee~

~Banshee~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

I remember going to the cinema, as a family, when Star Wars came out. Dad took my brother in to see it. Mum took me to see Abba-The Movie..com'on I was 10!!! That was and still is the closet I ever came to watching any of them.

The comic book hero thing...meh.
    The movie business is being saturated with them.

Game of Thrones...I was late to the party, started binging it after season 4 had aired. It took several episodes to really engage me. Have purposely avoided any clips, threads or conversations about S8 so farfar I want to do it all together. Will be gutted to see the final episode, though I'm sure it's right that it ends.