Go Back   Classic Rock Forum > Classic Rock Forums > 80's Music

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

80's Music Discuss music from the 1980's.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
oh, be nice

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default The Meat Puppets

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I know there are some Nirvana fans rockin' round this board so you've gotta know about The Meat Puppets.

Anybody like 'em? I don't have any of their albums but I think they're pretty awesome. The Meat Puppets covers on Nirvana Unplugged are of course amazing. I just listened to a recent Meat Puppets live album off of Napster and I was verrrry into it. Too bad I wouldn't be able to find that in stores...
Top 20 favorite artists: Neil Young, Tom Petty, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Pantera, Taylor Swift, Ke$ha, Bob Dylan, Ani DiFranco, Alice In Chains, Metallica, Paramore, Led Zeppelin, Burzum, Immortal Technique, Katy Perry, Neutral Milk Hotel, Eminem, Regina Spektor.
AboutAGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Re: The Meat Puppets

Sloppy, undisciplined, musicians who by some stroke of luck managed to make some good songs. Other material is downright terrible.
Aginghipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock and Roll Grandma

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I remember them from my college radio days and thought they were just awful. One dj used to do a "worst music of the week" and featured them. LOL Sorry, guess maybe they got better??? Never liked them.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
oh, be nice

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Hahaha.

I don't like them much outside of Nirvana Unplugged, but I kinda like them now that you guys have dissed them. Whenver anybody says that kind of stuff about a band it makes me think of Crazy Horse.
Top 20 favorite artists: Neil Young, Tom Petty, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Pantera, Taylor Swift, Ke$ha, Bob Dylan, Ani DiFranco, Alice In Chains, Metallica, Paramore, Led Zeppelin, Burzum, Immortal Technique, Katy Perry, Neutral Milk Hotel, Eminem, Regina Spektor.
AboutAGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Starting getting into this band in 1989. Looking forward to the new album. Here's one of my favourite tracks. Well I figured I'd give this one a bump forward

Metal Head Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default Welcome to the Meat Puppets and Russion Ruble Depreciation Thread

I guess one man's "sloppy, undisciplined", 500-monkeys-in-a-room-with-instruments-will "by some stroke of luck...make some good songs", but otherwise "downright terrible" music, is a another woman's aesthetic treasure.

Actually, unlike a significant contingent of the music I discovered in my teen and college years, my love of the Puppets has burgeoned parallel with their artistic maturity; in fact, they are one of the only bands whose new releases I order entirely unsampled.

I find their brand of self-fashioned desert psychedelia - garage band rock - funk - punk -'n country/western to be unique, nuanced, and complimented by lyrics that run a Dylanesque spectrum of esoterically cobbled wordplay to sardonic political commentary and poignantly profound expressions revelatory of new images and insights even with endlessly repeated listens.

"...I have seen the information on the lighter side of dumbness,
I have heard the new statistics and the stomping on the ground..."

Finally: Alex, I'll take "It's All About How You Rise From the Fall" for $800 (aka, self-deprecating good humour on public display)

Last edited by Kate; 12-17-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Settling down at last

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

The Meat Puppets are growing on me
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote