Go Back   Classic Rock Forum > Classic Rock Forums > 70's Music

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

70's Music Discuss your favorite classic rock and music from the 70's.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2016, 02:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Best Live Rendition of Tommy 70s

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Hi. I've listened to Live at Leeds, Live at Hull and Live at the Isle of Wight Festival, but can't decide on which has the best rendition of Tommy. Leeds sports arguable the best recording quality, but sounds as if it were recorded in a cave. However the mix is excellent, bringing all instruments (vocals included) to the forefront. Even the Ox can be heard effortlessly! Hull, on the other hand, also features excellent sound quality (I don't really mind the clicks), but Pete's guitar sounds a bit tinny at times, when compared to Leeds' fat-soundng and crunchy tone, the vocals sometimes disappear, and at some point at the beginning of a certain song, they forget to start singing, creating an awkward effect for the listener. And Wight's recording quality is simply terrible, but the performance is terrific. For all its sloppiness (both in recording, and in some "misfires" such as certain off-key vocals), it's still the rendition that provides a truly "cathartic" feeling at the end of the opera. Plus, the guitar tone is magnificent. However, the bass and the drums sound muffled. So, which is your favourite recording, and why?
vancutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
An Awesome Dude

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Welcome to our home!!!

I have only heard the studio version of it so im afraid I cant be much help.....
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pinhead

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

well for me and imho it has to be " Live At Leeds" its the first live recording I`d heard.

peace, friendship and ????

Music On...Realty OFF!
joker1961 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Walking down a dusty road

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

For me it's also "Live at Leeds" which to my ear is much better than the Isle of Wight recording. My favourite version is still the original studio recording
Old 01-10-2017, 02:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Originally Posted by vancutan View Post
Hi. I've listened to Live at Leeds, Live at Hull and Live at the Isle of Wight Festival, but can't decide on which has the best rendition of Tommy. Leeds sports arguable the best recording quality, but sounds as if it were recorded in a cave. However the mix is excellent, bringing all instruments (vocals included) to the forefront. Even the Ox can be heard effortlessly! Hull, on the other hand, also features excellent sound quality (I don't really mind the clicks), don’t let me down lyrics but Pete's guitar sounds a bit tinny at times, when compared to Leeds' fat-soundng and crunchy tone, the vocals sometimes disappear, and at some point at the beginning of a certain song let me love you lyrics, they forget to start singing, creating an awkward effect for the listener. And Wight's recording quality is simply terrible, but the performance is terrific starboy lyrics . For all its sloppiness (both in recording, and in some "misfires" such as certain off-key vocals), it's still the rendition that provides a truly "cathartic" feeling at the end of the opera. Plus, the guitar tone is magnificent. However, the bass and the drums sound muffled. So, which is your favourite recording, and why?
Hey hey, i've fix it!!!
vancutan is offline   Reply With Quote