Go Back   Classic Rock Forum > Classic Rock Forums > 50's Music

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

50's Music Discuss the vintage music of the 1950's.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Hey LG, I liked your mention of Dean Martin. After reading a number of books about him (with and without Jerry Lewis) I've come to the conclusion that Dino was just about the luckiest SOB on the planet. As a boxer, a singer, an actor etc., this guy made every wrong choice you can make, and yet he kept falling ass backwards into more and more success. It's like the "Seinfeld" episode where George finds success by doing the exact opposite of what his instincts tell him to do. Dean Martin was the real life version of that.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
LG
Fade To Black

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

^^I would never have thought Dean was anything like George Costanza.

Best move Dean ever did was splitting from Jerry Lewis, he managed to have a very successful and respectable career in everything he did. Jerry and him did reconcile years later, when Dean lost his son in Vietnam(I think that was what happened) Jerry called and offered his deepest sympathies but Dean was never the same afterward.
LG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Sleepwalk - Santo and Johnny, I can't get enough of this song lately. When I was in college I listened to it a lot, and just recently found it again.
Migolvania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 12:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
A Seasoned Witch

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
love it

Originally Posted by Hurdy Gurdy Man View Post
Three of my all time favorite tunes and in my mind timeless classics."I Love How You Love Me" by the Paris Sisters,"I Only Have Eyes For You" by the Flamingos and "Maybe" by the Chantels.... I feel they are all prime examples of popular music much more than deserving of being passed on to and treasured by all generations for all time.Listening to these for any serious music fan is essential.Preservation is duly necessary.......
Well, I happen to already have a playlist of my 100 favorite songs from the 50's, and from this I compiled a list of essential songs to never be forgotten.

It was hard to resist picking my favs, because they all are! So I took a few days to select those songs that strike a certain chord in me, as the songs that defined the era, and that would leave a physical void if they were deleted from memory.

If the world was ending, and having limited space in my quarters on the space-ark (and no digital music player), these 45rpm 7-inch singles would definitely be coming with me, to introduce the people in my new world to the music of this era.

Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran
Long Tall Sally - Little Richard
Maybellene - Chuck Berry
Be-Bop-A-Lula - Gene Vincent & The Blue Caps
I Only Have Eyes For You - The Flamingos
Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley
Come Go With Me - The Del-Vikings
You Send Me - Sam Cooke
There Goes My Baby - The Drifters
Kansas City - Wilbert Harrison
Since I Don't Have You - The Skyliners
Rave On - Buddy Holly
All I Have To Do Is Dream - The Everly Brothers
At The Hop - Danny & The Juniors
Honky Tonk - Bill Doggett

"I want you as the dream, not the reality..." from "Never Be Mine" by Kate Bush

"Deliver me from sin, but give me rock-n-roll." from "Someone Purer" by Mystery Jets
Black Dahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
????????????????

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Black Dahlia View Post
Well, I happen to already have a playlist of my 100 favorite songs from the 50's, and from this I compiled a list of essential songs to never be forgotten.

It was hard to resist picking my favs, because they all are! So I took a few days to select those songs that strike a certain chord in me, as the songs that defined the era, and that would leave a physical void if they were deleted from memory.

If the world was ending, and having limited space in my quarters on the space-ark (and no digital music player), these 45rpm 7-inch singles would definitely be coming with me, to introduce the people in my new world to the music of this era.

Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran
Long Tall Sally - Little Richard
Maybellene - Chuck Berry
Be-Bop-A-Lula - Gene Vincent & The Blue Caps
I Only Have Eyes For You - The Flamingos
Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley
Come Go With Me - The Del-Vikings
You Send Me - Sam Cooke
There Goes My Baby - The Drifters
Kansas City - Wilbert Harrison
Since I Don't Have You - The Skyliners
Rave On - Buddy Holly
All I Have To Do Is Dream - The Everly Brothers
At The Hop - Danny & The Juniors
Honky Tonk - Bill Doggett
these are also in my own list @Black Dahila...
The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Kiss, Maiden, Gov`t Mule, Black Crowes, Black Sabbath, Yes, Genesis, Bessie Smith, Son House, Tom Jones, Down, Slayer, Oasis, Blur, Ocean Colour Scene, Mozart, Beethoven, Queen, The Clash, NOFX, Rancid, Sex Pistols, Sarah McLachlan, Jeff Buckley, U2, Soul Asylum, Lucinda Williams, Kate Bush, Fleetwood Mac, Buddy Guy, BB, Freddie & Albert King, Muddy Waters, Howlin` Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Miles Davis, Mother Love Bone,
joker1961 is offline   Reply With Quote