Go Back   Classic Rock Forum > Classic Rock Talk, News & Reviews > Music News

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Music News The place to post any news and current events in the music business.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hot In The Dark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Arrow New Elton John album "The Diving Board"

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
ultimateclassicrock.com

It was not even two years ago that Elton John released ‘The Union,’ his album-length collaboration with Leon Russell — and it was mere weeks ago that Cameron Crowe’s documentary about the making of the album premiered on HBO. But Elton is nothing if not prolific, and he’s already prepping his next release.

Titled ‘The Diving Board,’ the album reunites John with ‘Union’ producer T Bone Burnett for a deliberately stripped-back collection that’s being described as a return to his earliest recordings. In fact, on Burnett’s suggestion, the bulk of the sessions were recorded with a bare-bones trio composed of John, Raphael Saadiq on bass, and Jay Bellerose on drums. “It was T Bone’s idea to get back with piano, bass and drums,” John told Rolling Stone. “He said, ‘Let’s start with that.’”

John admitted that even though he felt like he “was due” to re-enter the studio, he was initially reluctant to start a new project, even going so far as to ignore a stack of new lyrics from his longtime writing partner Bernie Taupin. “I was on holiday and I didn’t even look at them,” he recalled. “But I said, ‘I’ll go into the studio and if it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t matter.’”

Once the sessions started, John found a torrent of new music waiting to come out, writing a dozen songs in two days and cutting them in four. “It just came flooding out,” he reported. “Quickest record I’ve ever made.” It’s also, in John’s words, “the most exciting solo record I’ve done in a long, long time.

“I’m as psyched about it as I was with ‘The Union,’” he continued. “As I said with ‘The Union,’ I had to go back to go forward, and it’s the same with this record.”

That 70s Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Re: New Elton John album "The Diving Board"

Well I like the sound of this.
Cosmic Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
An Englishman in New York

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Me too. The Leon Russell thing he did was the best record he's made in a very long time, if he's trying to go back to basics then he can still be a very major favourite of mine, IMO all his albums that I have up to Blue Moves were amazing, and that was I think 1977, but I've liked very little that I've heard of him since.
TheSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Looking forward to a new Elton John disc for sure!!