Go Back   Classic Rock Forum > CRF Archives > Graveyard

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Graveyard Old threads, read them if you have time.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Sox
Avoiding The Swan Song

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Default The House of Wax

Register to remove these ads. It's free!

I thought being as there has been a kind of resurgence in vinyl interest over the last few years it would be good to have a place to talk wax. Anything that is related ... old/new collections and releases, the real classics and collectors items, those pick ups you remember, those you are after, what you're playing, equipment, shops, fairs ... Anything .

Old 02-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lovus My Avatarus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default Re: The House Of Wax.

A while ago Little Queen was re-released on LP, and I thought it would be a cool thing to add to the mantle. No idea what the new one would sound like..with my luck probably like crap Anyway, I was pretty happy about it, and thought I would post the back side as well as the front. One thing I noticed was the amount of work that went into this scene...I am sure the shoot took a while.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Sox
Avoiding The Swan Song

There's a lot going on TW for sure but I'm struggling to take my eyes off the ladies TBH. Seeing as you mentioned the cover though, I must admit in my youth I picked a load of albums up on the off chance simply because the cover appealed to me.

That cover picture kicked off a 30 year love affair with the band for me,
Old 02-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
LG
Fade To Black

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

This thread should be titled "Sox's Little Shop Of Wax"...

Don't have much time right now to do a Proper post but I am researching some new analog gear and will be upgrading my TT/Cartridge and going to get an actual stand alone Phono Stage pre-amp for the first time. Saw a Pearler yesterday that will do perfectly.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Sox
Avoiding The Swan Song

As you know LG I picked up some new speakers yesterday and I'd just like to say the place I go, I believe is one of the best in my area and offers some of the fairest deals on HIFI gear in the UK.

Tried the speakers out with a few cd's and then flicked through the vinyl stash and played "Abbey Road" and "Are You Experienced" ... so far I'm really pleased with the results.

Oh and the speakers are a cracking little pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9 Bookshelf, just right for a small room, plenty enough kick.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
LG
Fade To Black

Those look very nice Sox...I especially like the cherry or rosewood finish. I vow I am not buying anymore "Black" speakers... It's bad enough all the AV receivers/amps are black these days I was a little put out when I bought my last two Marantz pieces, England offers them in a Silver finish, but here I could only get them in the ubiquitous Black.

Okay I was meandering through my friends Hi-Fi shop on Saturday and saw a selection of vinyl in the corner, somehow I missed that the last time I was there. So I went through his entire selection and found "Endless Summer" by the Beach Boys in 180 gram audiophile quality vinyl.

So I grabbed it and listened to it twice already, such fond memories associated with this album, and it has that warmth that my CD is missing. I have about 50 more I am trying to collect, I don't think I can get all of them brand new like this one but I loved opening the cellophane wrapper, then the gatefold and pulling the records out.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lovus My Avatarus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Wow Sox, what an interesting looking building to shop for audio equipment in. I have always liked old structures and can't wait until I finally get over to the Uk to check some of this stuff out first hand!
Old 02-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sox
Avoiding The Swan Song

LG ... I always liked the gold effect that Marantz did, my first separate component rig was a Marantz set up and I went for the gold ... Looked great.

TW ... I guess it does look old and kind of sedate from the outside but once you get through the doors it's an electrical goods haven.

The record fairs at Buxton a great way to spend a morning. I used to go quite often years ago and picked up some sound deals.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supine In The Sunshine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

I've been buying Vinyl for years, ever since i was fourteen in fact. When I was young I bought a lot of stuff that I knew I loved, and some stuff that I didn't know, mainly if the cover really appealed to me.

I stopped collecting for a bunch of years and then got back in to it about four or five years ago.

Imagine my surprise years and years later when first I pulled my little record collection out and found that when I was barely old enough to drive, I had bought all these amazing records on the strength of their covers alone. and I never had listened to them! Here's just a handful.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
LG
Fade To Black

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
^^I've done that myself many times Architect, bought an album just because the cover looked cool. (Sox mentioned that he's guilty of that himself...)

I'm in the same boat, I haven't bought vinyl in decades, until last weekend and now I am already preparing my list of "must have" records to order from this tiny little shop I stumbled into literally.